Jose Mourinho of Tottenham Hotspur will welcome Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Manchester United to Tottenham Stadium on Friday with a heavy heart over the one-match suspension slammed on one of his best players Dele Alli.
The football FA in the United Kingdom decided to suspend Alli for a match for making fun of the plight of the Chinese earlier in the year when the country was the epicentre of the dreaded coronavirus pandemic.
Alli shared a video of himself on Snapchat making fun of a Chinese man while wearing a facemask. The video didn’t go down well for so many people and he had to delete it and made another video to apologise for his action.
Little did the 24-year-old Tottenham star knows that the football FA won’t make sense of his apology. The world got reminded that a one-match ban has been slammed on him when the Premier League has restarted. Unfortunately for Mourinho, the ban comes to effect when he is hosting full fit Manchester United.
“In my case, I believe it was a very, very, very small mistake that was not reported in the right way”, Mourinho said.
“But lots of people in football, and even outside football, made lots of mistakes. I don’t like these kinds of contradictions. I feel that it’s for everybody or it’s for nobody. It’s quite unfair for a kid who made a mistake and apologised for it.”
Tottenham‘s manager told newsmen that the ban slammed on Alli was not a fair decision because he was not the only one that has made one mistake or the other since the coronavirus pandemic started. The Portuguese tactician stressed that even he the coach also made a mistake, referring to the time he was pictured breaching the social distancing law while having a training routine with Tottenham‘s new signee Tanguy Ndombele in April.
Like Mourinho Like Ole
As Mourinho is having the headache of not having Dele Alli to select in today’s match so also his opponent, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is having a tough time trying to understand what his 19-year-old midfielder Angel Gomes is planning to do.
Angel Gomes‘ contract with the club will expire in a couple of weeks and he is yet to make up his mind on whether he is staying or going. He is reportedly considering offers from other clubs since he has not been getting enough playing time at United.
He has been a part of United’s senior team since he was promoted from the club’s academy in 2017. Despite three years in the senior team, he has only managed about 10 appearances in all competitions.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed that the England youth international has been offered a contract extension but he is yet to sign it. He also noted that if the youngster doesn’t want to stay, he can only wish him well in his future endeavours.
He said: “With Angel, he’s a top kid we’ve had at the club for so many years, we’ve offered him a deal and hopefully he’ll take that and if not I wish him all the best.
“From what I understand it’s not too far away, if not we’ll wish him all the best.”