Mason Greenwood is embroiled in a news that would give him some sour taste with his branding as popular Sportswear company, Nike have established that their earlier stance involving him remains unchanged.
Nike termination of Mason Greenwood’s contract
Nike suspended the contract of Mason Greenwood last year following his rape and assault saga. Even though the court has dropped the changes against the 21-year-old English footballer, Nike has insisted that it hasn’t shifted its ground.
After Greenwood was discharged and acquitted last Thursday, he included Nike in his Instagram bio.
However, The Sportswear brand has come out to distance themselves from the footballer implying that Mason Greenwood is not back on the list of sponsored athletes of Nike.
Nike made this known recently stating that their earlier stand on the matter relating to the 21-year-old is sacrosanct.
Last week Thursday, the Crown Prosecution Service said three criminal charges against Greenwood has been dropped due to “new materials surfacing and top witnesses withdrawing their co-operation”
Manchester United since suspended Mason Greenwood in light of the strong claims, which went viral in January, 2022.
The English footballer was growing into a superstar on the football pitch before he was charged with one count of attempted rape.
Greenwood was also charged with a count of assault and for acting in manners that were in a controlling and coercive manner.
He was to face trial in November, 2023 before he was discharged and let off the hook.
The documented contractual terms of Mason Greenwood stipulates that his contract with the Red Army is until June, 2025.
Manchester United’s statement after Greenwood’s freedom
After the charges against Mason Greenwood were dropped, Manchester United stated that: “Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped. The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
In addition to Nike’s termination of their contractual agreement with Greenwood, He was also pulled out from the computer game known as FIFA and the Football Manager series.
The Manchester based club, also put a standstill on sales of all merchandise relating to his name, in addition to a sizable number of his team-mates unfollowing him all across social media.
The Crown Prosecution Service further stated
A statement from the Crown Prosecution Service read: “In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case. We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”
The embattled footballer, Mason Greenwood in a statement released on his behalf said: “I am relieved this matter is now over. I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.”
Greenwood made his first appearance for Manchester United in the course of the 2018/19 league season playing an impactful role.
As a result of his impressive performances, He cemented a place in the starting XI of Manchester United before this issue reared its ugly head.
The suspended Manchester United forward has made 129 appearances in the colours of Manchester United scoring 35 goals in the process.
The last game he featured for Manchester United was in a Premier League encounter, which Manchester United won over David Moyes’ West Ham United.
Erik Ten Hag has stayed clear of having a say on the matter, stressing to reporters to look at the club statement, where Mason Greenwood, in that statement, would not be returning to training while internal findings are ongoing.