Manchester United players reportedly don’t want Mason Greenwood back into the dressing room over fears it could derail their progress.
The 21-year-old England International was recently prosecuted for rape and assault but the charges against him were dropped last week.
Despite being acquitted of the charges, Greenwood still faces an internal club investigation to determine whether or not to reintegrate him into Manchester United’s first-team squad.
Mason Greenwood remains on Erik Ten Hag’s Premier League squad list, having been named among their Under-21 players at the beginning of the season, but the current eruption about his misdemeanor is an emerging concern at the club.
According to The Sun report, Erik Ten Hag’s United team, who have been making significant progress under the Dutch boss this season are afraid Greenwood’s return to the club could bring them bad luck.
A source said: “The players are open to him returning to the team but the scrutiny could be massively distracting.
“The dressing room is the happiest it has been for ages and no one wants to rock the boat.”
Manchester United, under the supervision of Ten Hag, have lost just one competitive fixture since the start of November and have also advanced to the later stages of the Europa League campaign.
Meanwhile, Mason Greenwood last played for the Red Devils in January 2022 and his current contract with the club is set to elapse in 2025.
And while Manchester United’s sponsors have refused to comment on whether they would like to welcome him back to the club or sack him, Ten Hag has kept mum about Greenwood’s future at Old Trafford.
Manchester United manager Ten Hag refused to make any further information on Greenwood’s situation when he held his press conference ahead of Saturday’s home league victory against Crystal Palace.
He said: ”I can’t say anything about it,’ he said. ‘I refer to the statement of the club and at this moment I can’t add anything.”
Meanwhile, the club’s hierarchy is still investigating Greenwood’s behavior after pictures and audio were posted online by his alleged victim.
Manchester United released a club statement three hours after the Crown Prosecution Service announced that the charges against Greenwood were being dropped.
The club’s statement read: ”Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped.
‘The club will now conduct its process before determining the next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
While the club’s investigation continues, Mason Greenwood is suspended on £100,000-a-week pay and not eligible to train or play.
There were also claims that the 21-year-old forward who was capped for England once would reportedly be willing to reawaken his football career in China if Manchester United rip up his contract.
The attempted rape and assault charges were dropped against the 21-year-old following the ‘withdrawal of key witnesses’.
Following the court’s pronouncement that all allegations leveled against him had been dropped, Greenwood expressed his elation and appreciated everyone who stood by him during his trials.
He said: ”I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones, and friends for their support.
There will be no further comment at this time.”