Mason Greenwood, Manchester United forward, has been arrested again on suspicion of sexual assault and making threats to kill, and detectives have been given extra time to question him.
What Happened to Mason Greenwood?
Following social media photographs and videos released online, the 20-year-old was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a young woman on Sunday afternoon.
Greenwood, who has not been formally named as the suspect, was remanded in prison overnight on Monday after investigators from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were given more time to question him.
The force said in a statement on Tuesday: “Detectives have been granted further additional time to speak to a man in his 20s who was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault of a woman.
“The suspect was detained in custody on Sunday afternoon after we became aware of online social media images and videos posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence.
“He continues to be questioned after magistrates authorised an extension until tomorrow, Wednesday 2 February.
“Following enquiries so far, he has since been further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
“Enquiries are ongoing and the victim continues to be offered specialist support.
“We remind people to avoid any commentary or sharing of images that could compromise the victim’s right to lifelong anonymity, or risk prejudicing a live investigation with active proceedings.”
Following the latest news from GMP, United released a club statement which read: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. Mason Greenwood will not train or play for the club until further notice, as previously stated.”
The footballer, who is regarded as one of United’s emerging young talents, was prohibited from playing or training with the club within hours of the claims being made public on Sunday morning.
The posts on the social media page have subsequently been deleted.
Sexual offender complainants are not allowed to be recognized, and their anonymity is guaranteed for the rest of their lives.
“We are profoundly concerned by the unsettling claims and will continue to closely watch the situation,” Nike, which supports Greenwood, said in a statement.
Greenwood has also been removed from some FIFA 22 game versions.
In a statement to the PA news agency, video game company Electronic Arts also said that: “Mason Greenwood has been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and has also been suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft.”
Harriet Robson’s Father On Greenwood
Harriet Robson’s father has spoken out following his daughter’s terrible charges against Manchester United player Mason Greenwood early Sunday morning.
Ms Robson’s father, who talked to the Daily Mail, has now spoken out, expressing his disbelief.
“The first thing we knew about this was at 6am this morning,” Mr Robson said. “It is dreadful. I’m just coming to terms with it all.
“As a father you don’t want to know things like that happening to your daughter. The police have been round and she has made a statement to them.
“She is completely devastated by it all.”
Not quite what everyone expected from Mr Robson, but he knows his reason for making this statement.
So, what’s next?
Manchester United’s announcement provides no timetable for a possible return and makes no commitment to Greenwood’s return.
The club will wait until the investigation is completed and the “facts have been established” before making a decision on Greenwood’s future with the club, as stated in its public statement.
After the international break, Manchester United will play Middlesbrough in an FA Cup fourth round match on February 4. The Red Devils are presently fourth in the Premier League table with 38 points, looking to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League for next season.
The Red Devils have also advanced to the Round of 16 of the Champions League this season, where they will face Atletico Madrid in a series that begins on February 23, followed by the Manchester derby versus Man City on March 6.
Since breaking into the Manchester United first squad in 2019, Greenwood has been an effective performer. In 2021, he signed a four-year contract with the club.
Since breaking through as a youth, he has scored 23 Premier League goals. He has made 18 appearances in 22 Premier League games this season, scoring five goals.