Borussia Dortmund has denied holding talks with Manchester United for the transfer of Jordan Sancho.
This is following speculations surrounding Sancho’s future at Signal Iduna Park after This having a successful season with the team.
Despite several claims that negotiations between both clubs had reached the final stage, the Bundesliga club said they are expecting the winger to be part of the club next season. This has further cast doubts on a move back to England for the star winger.
Sancho had left Manchester City in 2017 to move to Germany in search of first-team football, which he got with the Bundesliga runners-up. He has since established himself as one of Europe’s top attackers.
Is Man United pulling out of a deal for Jordan Sancho?
However, there had also been reports that the Red Devils were prepared to walk away from the deal due to the value placed on the Englishman. It was reported that that the German club wants €120 million (£108m/$142m) for the talented lad.
Although United can pay the amount, it would likely affect the team’s budget for the season. The coronavirus pandemic has also affected the football business as well.
Moreover, the Red Devils are planning for other targets. This could make such a figure to be far too high for them. Bayern Munich winger, Kingsley Coman is one of the top players on Man United’s radar.
With Dortmund insisting that no talks have taken place between them and United, Sancho may not be able to move back to England this summer.
“So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho, either indirectly or through alleged intermediaries,” Dortmund managing director Hans-Joachim Watzke told SZ in an interview.
Dortumund starts preseason with Sancho
In a related development, Dortmund will begin their pre-season training on Monday. The club had set the day as the deadline for completing any transfer. With five days to that, nothing seems concrete between both parties.
Watzke further reiterated that there is presently no offer for Sancho from United, but insisted that any club potentially interested in his star man knows they would have to meet the asking price.
“There has never been an offer for Jadon, but we have pre-emptively given the minimum of what should be paid. I don’t expect any difficulties. Jadon has accepted that he’s a very pleasant, fair guy,” Watzke said.
“I assume that Jadon will go to training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season,” Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc added.
Sancho scored 17 goals and assisted 17 others in the 2019-20 Bundesliga campaign to help Dortmund finished in second place. He has two years remaining on his contract.