Neymar might reportedly be re-signed by Barcelona for £43 million, according to reports from PSG.
The former Barcelona winger cost PSG £198 million five years ago, and in just 144 professional appearances since then, he has scored 100 goals.
However, with Kylian Mbappe’s spectacular rise and the arrival of Lionel Messi in 2021, the Brazilian is no longer PSG’s talisman and has yet to win the coveted Champions League championship for the French team.
Although Neymar’s contract with the French giants expires in three years, it appears they are eager to unload the winger this summer as they are apparently offering him to interested parties.
PSG reportedly “repeatedly” offered Barcelona the chance to re-sign Neymar for £43.1 million, according to Sport.
According to reports, the 30-year-old is ready to leave Paris this summer provided he can play for his old team again.
However, a move for Neymar may be challenging to justify in the near future given Barcelona’s financial woes and a lengthy transfer wish list that includes Robert Lewandowski, Bernardo Silva, and Raphinha.
A chunk of the Catalan club’s assets, including 49.9% of Barcelona Licensing and Merchandising, were allowed to be offset last week just to raise funds.
The overall deal would be worth about €200 million, albeit they would have the choice to repurchase their stake at a later time.
A second proposal that authorized the club to sell 25% of its broadcast revenue over the following 25 years was also approved.
Lewandowski, a top transfer target for Barcelona who officially declared his time at Bayern Munich to be “finished” last month in quest of a new challenge, is anticipated to receive some of the funds.
Also, Manchester City’s midfielder, Silva reportedly informed the champions that he wants to leave the Etihad, as reported by the Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo. The European powerhouses, Barca, have also maintained an eye on Silva.
Despite having an ankle ailment from December through February, Neymar scored 13 league goals in 22 games for PSG last season.
PSG would significantly reduce the club’s salary bill if they can sell Neymar who earns £596,000 per week at PSG, especially after last month’s historic contract renewal with Mbappe.
Titles won at Barcelona
- Copa Del Rey – 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Spanish Super Cup – 2014, and 2017
- Spanish La Liga – 2015, and 2017
- Catalona Cup – 2014
- UEFA Champions League – 2015
- America’s Best Player (El País) 2011, 2012, second 2013 and third 2010;
- Best Player Libertadores Cup 2011
- Bronze Ball World Cup of Clubs 2011
- Ballon d’Or Confederations Cup 2013
- Best team Confederations Cup
- Silver Boot Confederations Cup 2013
- Best Player of the Brazilian Championship 2011
- Top scorer Libertadores Cup 2012
- Top scorer South American Championship s’20 2011
- Puskas prize to the Best Goal 2011
- Top scorer Paulista tournament 2012
- World Cup 2014 Bronze Boot; Samba de Oro 2014, 2015, 2017
- Best XI Champions League 2015
- Best XI FIFPro 2015, 2017
- Third Place Ballon d’Or 2015