Xavi Hernandez Welcomes Joan Laporta’s Decision To Sack Him, Opens Door On Possible Return To Barcelona In The Future

0
233

Xavi Hernandez has expressed that he “respects” the decision of President Joan Laporta to dismiss him from his role as manager of Barcelona.

The Blaugrana side fired the Spaniard on Friday, May 24, 2024, about a month after Xavi made a U-turn on his decision to exit the club at the end of the campaign.

Xavi Hernandez has welcomed the move by Laporta, claiming that “he will always be a fan of Barcelona”.

The former Al-Sadd boss will take charge of his final game as coach of the Spanish giants on Sunday, May 26, 2024, with the Catalan side visiting the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan to play Sevilla.

Xavi Hernandez Speaking On Joan Laporta’s Decision To Fire Him From His Duty As Barcelona Manager

Speaking ahead of the encounter, Xavi said: “I respect the president’s decision to sack me, it’s him the one who decides. I will always be Barcelona fan and supporting the club”.

The 44-year-old also shared that he wouldn’t shut the door on a possible return to the side, tagging the team as “the club of his life.”

Xavi Hernandez said: “I’d love to return to Barça one day. Barcelona is the club of my life, I always said that”.

“I’m not closing doors to Barça and to the possibility to return at the club one day”.

Xavi was appointed manager of the Spanish giants on November 6, 2021, and he led the club to the La Liga title and the Spanish Super Cup.

The Spaniard managed to steady the ship at Barcelona, although the club’s financially handicapped state has prevented them from competing squarely with rivals Real Madrid.

Fans of the Catalan giants were divided over Xavi Hernandez, as some were calling for his exit, while others felt he had done enough and should continue his role as manager of the side.

Why Barcelona Sacked Xavi?

Reports indicate that Barcelona decided to boot him out due to assertions he made in a presser ahead of their clash against Almeria on May 16, 2024.

He expressed that the Blaugrana side cannot compete with Real Madrid due to their financial strength, whilst also claiming that Barcelona never planned to sign youngster Vitor Roque.

Xavi’s comment apparently infuriated the hierarchy of Barcelona and they decided to let him go at the end of the campaign.

Moreover, Xavi Hernandez was also asked if he would let go of his remaining salary, and he reiterated his previous stance, saying:

“Will I give up on the remaining salary? I’ve answered this before and I always keep my word”.

The 44-year-old has previously said that he will forgo the remainder of his salary, and this will provide massive succor to the Spain side, amid Barcelona’s precarious financial state.

However, Xavi has demanded that the salary of his coaching staff and assistants be paid.

Xavi Hernandez’s decision to let go of his salary will save Barcelona a fee of around €12 million, and this can aid them in facilitating the appointment of a new manager, which reports indicate would be ex-Bayern Munich and Germany boss Hansi Flick.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here