Manchester City will on Monday morning know if they will be participating in the next two Champions League or not.
This is following the club’s appeal against UEFA ban over alleged breach of Fifa Fair Play (FFP) rule at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
CAS in a statement issued on Friday evening said it will announce the decision taken in the arbitration procedure between both parties on Monday, 13 July 2020 via it website at 10.30 am Swiss time (9.30 am UK).
City manager, Pepe Guardiola had earlier on Friday said he remained confident that his side will participate in the Champions League next season.
All the Noisy neighbours need is just two points from their last four Premier League matches to secure the second spot on the log. But they will have to wait till Monday to know the status of their involvement in the club’s competition till Monday.
“The intention every season is to play in the Champions League and do the best possible. It is not about what will happen on Monday.
“I’m confident because I saw the arguments of the club that next season we will be there. But we have to wait and after I give my opinion or the club will give their statement,” the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach said.
What is likely to happen to Manchester City on Monday
According to reports, should the judgment not be in favour of City, the team who finished fifth in the Premier League will take their place So, it is likely to be either Manchester United or Leicester will take their place in the Champions League next season.
But the club will still continue to play in this season’s campaign no matter the judgment reserved for Monday.
City is currently ahead in the last 16 encounters with Real Madrid, having secured a 2-1 lead at the Bernabeau Stadium. They will be hoping to finish the business at the Etihad Stadium.
If the judgement of UEFA is upheld, it will be the first time governing body will be banning a club from the Champions League for two seasons. But CAS has the power to overturn the ban or to reduce it to one season.
Guardiola had initially said he will still be in charge of the club no matter the CAS judgement. But the manger has one year left on his contract and he is yet to commit to a new deal with the outfit.