Tottenham Hotspur Heung-Min Son to undergo surgery

Spread the love

Tottenham Hotspur have announced that South Korean international Son Heung-min has suffered a fractured arm during their Premier League win over Aston Villa on Sunday and is set to be sidelined for some weeks.

According to a statement on the club’s website on Tuesday, the forward is due to undergo surgery this week and will undergo rehabilitation so as to return to action as quickly as possible.

“Heung-Min Son is to undergo surgery this week after sustaining a fracture to his right arm,” read a statement on Tottenham’s official website.

“The South Korea international suffered the injury during our win against Aston Villa on Sunday.

“Following surgery, our medical staff shall be reviewing management options for Son’s rehabilitation with the player expected to be sidelined for a number of weeks.”

Son’s injury will come as a huge blow to Tottenham after Harry Kane is already sidelined with a hamstring injury and has been ruled out for eight weeks. The England captain sustained the injury in the process of scoring an offside goal at St Mary’s on New Year’s Day.

Son has found the back of the net 16 times in all competitions so far this season, including scoring a brace against Villa on Sunday. He has now scored four goals in his last three Premier League games.

The 27-year-old will not feature in Tottenham’s Champions League round of 16 first leg against RB Leipzig and a crucial Premier League game against Chelsea. The forward may also miss some Premier League clashes against Manchester United, Arsenal and Leicester City are also on the horizon for Jose Mourinho’s men.

Reacting to the South Korean’s hamstring injury, Spurs manager Jose Mourinho said the club’s situation “couldn’t be worse”, suggesting that the forward may be ruled out of the season.

Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League last-16 first leg at home to RB Leipzig, Mourinho said he is not counting on Son to be back before the end of the season.

He said: “The situation couldn’t be worse in terms of options. It’s a very, very obvious situation. There is nothing that you can do. We are going to play with the players that we have available.

“The players are going to give everything, which is what they are doing. In some periods I was worried about not having attacking options on the bench, now it’s not having attacking options on the pitch.”

Video: Jose Mourinho spoke on Heung-min Son injury.