2020-21 season of the Italian Serie A will begin on September 19, 2020, and end May 21, 2021.
This was announced by the Serie A in a statement.
“The Lega Council met today at 19.00 (local time) and unanimously resolved that Serie A TIM 2020-21 will start on the weekend of September 19.
“The decision confirms the preference already expressed in the afternoon by the majority of the clubs in a meeting dedicated to this topic,” the statement reads.
Futballnews had reported that the Premier League shareholders had also agreed that the 2020 season begins on September 12 tentatively.
According to reports, the Christmas break will run from December 23 to January 3. The fixtures will also have five-midweek actions, in addition to the one after the Christmas break.
Serie A 2020 date: What this means for Juventus, Inter Milan, Roma, Napoli, and AC Milan
AC Milan would have loved the season to begin in earnest having finished the season on a positive note that saw them occupying the final European after winning nine out of their last twelve games.
Now that resumption of Serie A is confirmed for mid-September, the Rossoneri will begin the real test of their season in the Europa League qualifiers scheduled for September 17. They are expected to begin their Serie A season three days later.
For the champions, Juventus, this means there might not be enough rest before the new season resume as well.
Juventus is still in the Champions League and they have a return leg clash against Lyon that won the first leg of the last 16 1-0.
The same goes for Napoli that has played 1-1 in their own first leg too against Barcelona.
Inter Milan, AS Roma, are still in the Europa League with the hope of progressing to the next stage.
With the finals coming up later at the end of the month, teams that get to the semi-finals and the final might just be having a two weeks break before returning for another season.
Upcoming football event in 2020-21 season
Here are the Upcoming dates concerning the summer transfer and resumption of league actions across the
- August 4 – La Liga transfer window opens
- August 21 – Europa League 2019-20 Final
- August 22 – Ligue 1 2020-21 begins
- August 23 – Champions League 2019-20 Final
- September 1 – Serie A transfer window opens
- September 12 – Premier League 2020-21 and La Liga 2020-21 begin
- September 18 – Bundesliga 2020-21 begins
- September 19 – Serie A 2020-21 begins
- September 24 – 2020 UEFA Super Cup
- October 1 – Champions League 2020-21 Group Stage draw
- October 2 – Europa League 2020-21 Group Stage draw
- October 5 – Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga transfer windows close.