Roy Keane doesn’t believe Liverpool supporters will miss Sadio Mané so much even though he left the club earlier in the summer window following six extremely successful seasons in Merseyside.
Roy Keane reminisced on Darwin Nuez’s performance while he was speaking on ITV following Liverpool’s victory over Manchester City in the Community Shield, which Liverpool won 3-1.
The Irishman said that Nuez is now “up and running” and that for a rookie striker like the Uruguayan, “it’s about having that first goal under your belt.”
Keane launched a vicious jab at Sadio Mané, a forward who had previously played for Liverpool, by asking, “Who’s that, Mané?”
He was obviously encouraged to see a new forward at Liverpool as he marveled at Darwin Nunez’s “hungry” cameo after being introduced as a second-half substitute.
On Saturday, Nunez surely delighted those Liverpool supporters who had their doubts about their team’s choice to spend up to £85 million on the Uruguayan.
In addition to scoring an injury-time goal for himself, the 23-year-old was responsible for forcing Ruben Dias to give up the game-winning penalty that ultimately won the contest.
The forward had a great first experience playing in England, but there will be much discussion about whether or not he should start the Reds’ Premier League season opener against Fulham the following week.
Roberto Firmino, who has proven to be reliable for Liverpool, got the start in the center-forward position on Saturday.
But if Nunez continues to play as well as he did during his appearance on Saturday, Jürgen Klopp will find it challenging to keep the Uruguayan on the sidelines.
Following his goal against City, Nuez will be in the zone. The Uruguayan will be less under strain and able to play with more assurance.
It’s critical that Liverpool supporters don’t overreact, as Roy Keane possibly did following Liverpool’s Community Shield victory.
On the other hand, they have every reason to be quietly satisfied with Nunez’s start at Liverpool.
Why did Mane leave Liverpool?
Sadio Mane left Liverpool for Bayern Munich, according to former Manchester City forward Trevor Sinclair, because he was underappreciated at Anfield.
Mane left Liverpool last month to sign a three-year deal with Bayern after Liverpool accepted a £35 million offer from the German team.
Immediately after the 2021-2022 season, the 30-year-old told Liverpool that he wanted to leave the Premier League team because he wanted a new challenge which he has already started enjoying in Germany by helping Bayern to win DFL Supercup last weekend.