A Premier League international footballer has been arrested in North London on suspicion of rape, according to Telegraph Sport.
Due to legal restrictions, the player, who is in his late 20s, cannot be identified. He is currently being questioned in detention regarding the alleged rape of an unnamed woman that is reported to have happened last month.
The player’s detention in the wee hours of Monday was confirmed by Scotland Yard in a statement. The club refused to comment after being informed by Telegraph Sport that the player is being questioned.
“It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody.
“While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
“He has subsequently been released on bail to a date in August. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”
It is unknown if the player, who enjoys worldwide recognition, will still participate in his club’s preseason schedule of games. The player is scheduled to play at the World Cup in Qatar this November as well as the Premier League season, which starts on August 5.
More information concerning the arrest and the accusations against the footballer has been revealed in a fresh piece by The Sun.
Six police cars are said to have descended on his estate early on Monday, leading to his arrest at 3 a.m.
The footballer, who was listed as “one of the greatest at his Premier League side,” was detained when a lady accused him of raping her while they were on vacation in the Mediterranean, according to the article.
The woman, who is also in her 20s, allegedly showed police pictures of “bruising” after reporting the alleged incident, which she claimed happened last month (June) when she was on vacation with the player.
The claimed victim took a flight home after leaving the five-star resort where she was lodged with the footballer.
She met with police upon her arrival in the UK and gave a thorough interview to officers on Sunday while presenting them with pictures of what she claimed to be bruises on her body following the alleged incident.
The Premier League season is scheduled to begin on August 5, and the player is now expected to miss his club’s preseason tour while the investigations proceed.
“The allegations are of the utmost seriousness,” a source told The Sun.
“Club bosses are stunned about this. The player was due to be on a pre-season tour. He will now not be travelling with the side.
“The law must be allowed to dictate what happens next. The player’s colleagues are absolutely dumbstruck about this. It is a hammer blow to the club, but the police must do their job.”
The Telegraph and The Sun have both gotten in touch with the anonymous player’s club for comment, but they have not yet issued a formal statement.