Hot Football/Soccer NewsNews

Liverpool says fans celebration as wholly unacceptable

In contravention of the COVID-109 guidelines, Liverpool fans couldn’t hide their excitement of being a league winner after 30 years, despite the COVID-19 pandemic that has left over 30,0000 people dead in the country.

Condemning the action, the 2019-20 Premier League winners, Liverpool has described the actions of the fans wholly unacceptable as they all risk contracting the dreaded virus that has just three percent of the death rate.

The jubilant fans defied social distancing rules in the city for the second consecutive night to celebrate the club’s first league title in 30 years after being confirmed champions on Thursday night courtesy of Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Manchester City at the Stamford Bridge. The supporters flocked to Anfield to party afterward, disregarding a warning from the police once again on Friday evening. They launched fireworks at the Royal Liver Building as the celebration galore continues, which the fire brigade attended.

Unfortunately, a fire later broke out on the balcony of the landmark owned by Farhad Moshiri, who is the majority shareholder of local rivals Everton.

Liverpool fans defied social distancing guidelines

Liverpool in a joint statement with the Merseyside Police and Liverpool City Council on Saturday said all parties stakeholders which include the club, Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council and Spirit of Shankly throughout last week worked together to consistently remind people that the region is still disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and ask people to celebrate LFC’s Premier League title win safely, but this was disregarded. It is hoped that the celebration doesn’t lead to another spike of COVID-19 in the region.

In the statement, it was noted that several thousand people turned up at the Pier Head on Friday as some chose to ignore the social distancing guidance and risk public safety.

“The potential danger of a second peak of COVID-19 still exists, and we need to work together to make sure we don’t undo everything that has been achieved as a region during lockdown. When it is safe to do so, we will all work together to arrange a victory parade when everyone can come together to celebrate. Until that time, the safety of our city and our people continues to be our number one priority.”

It could be recalled that since the restart of the league after lifting the lockdown order, all Premier League games have been held behind closed doors, which didn’t allow fans in the stadium.

Reacting to the development, Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson via his social media page, said their actions had brought a “negative focus” to the football club.

Liverpool’s next schedule will be the premier league action against dethroned champions, Manchester City, at the Etihad Stadium, where they will receive a guard of honour.

Liverpool fans celebrate Premier League title win

See more pictures of the celebrations below.

Please follow and like us:

Comment here