Liverpool Failed To Beat Crystal Palace As Match Ends In A Goalless Draw

Spread the love

Liverpool continue their frustrating run of form as they failed to beat Crystal Palace away at Selhurst Park Stadium on Saturday 25th February.

Liverpool Failed To Beat Crystal Palace As Match Ends In A Goalless Draw

After losing to Real Madrid 5-2 on Tuesday, Jurgen Klopp’s team was looking to regain some confidence.

However, they appeared “fragile” as they returned to Premier League play, as Jamie Redknapp of Sky Sports put it.

Diogo Jota’s close-range nod onto the crossbar in the first half, and Mohamed Salah’s shot against the woodwork immediately after the break, were just two of the opportunities they missed.

Nonetheless, despite some dubious plays from Liverpool’s defense, Crystal Palace didn’t exactly sit back and impressed for long stretches. Despite this, they failed to record a shot on goal.

Also hitting the crossbar was Jean-Philippe Mateta, who earlier had the chance to put his team ahead thanks to a clumsy Trent Alexander-Arnold pass. The excellent Michael Olise and Marc Guehi both came close as well.

See also  January Transfer Window Record Broken as Premier League Dominates Europe's Spending

In the end, neither team had a competitive edge. Liverpool climbs one spot into seventh place, six points behind the top four. Palace also drew for the third week in a row, staying in 12th place.

How Liverpool fought hard at Crystal Palace to get a point

The first few minutes of the game were distinguished by a string of almosts and maybes.

Alexander-Arnold’s careless ball to Jordan Henderson was intercepted by Mateta, giving Crystal Palace a chance. Alisson, however, palmed Mateta’s chipped effort wide.

Then, the returning Jota twice came close for Liverpool, first with a volley that was straight at Vicente Guaita and then with a close-range header from a tight angle that bounced off the crossbar.

See also  Mo Salah promised revenge but Liverpool lost again... What's next for Klopp and his players?

Before the half-hour mark, Crystal Palace again took advantage of some shaky Liverpool defending for another fantastic opportunity. Olise provided a great corner, but Guehi shot a free header just inches wide of the goal.

Liverpool Failed To Beat Crystal Palace As Match Ends In A Goalless Draw

The hosts appeared to gain some confidence as a result, and they started to create lots of chances. Mateta and Jeffrey Schlupp just made it to Olise’s right-side cross before the latter smacked a shot off the top of the crossbar.

Although Liverpool didn’t exactly start the second half off well, they did have some promising early opportunities. Alexander-Arnold’s deflected cross was diverted by Mohamed Salah and then Guaita pushed it over the goal line.

As the game went on, both teams experienced periods of pressure, with Olise giving Palace some energy, but there was no clear winner.

Cody Gakpo had a late chance to win it for Liverpool, but he missed a golden opportunity.

When referee Darren England blew the final whistle as Crystal Palace was given another corner, the home team exerted late pressure and was furious. Once the game came to a deadlock, the players surrounded the referee in protest; Joachim Andersen was given a booking.

See also  Man Utd, Liverpool Eye Arsenal Starlet Bukayo Saka Amid Contract Talks

Michael Olise – Player Of The Match

Olise, who at times provided Crystal Palace with the much-needed creative spark, put on a fantastic performance.

He struggled in other sections of the field, but he breezed by seasoned players as if they weren’t there.

He keeps demonstrating what a promising young player he is for Patrick Vieira’s team.

%d bloggers like this: