Media reports claiming that Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Christian Eriksen has agreed to a move to Inter Milan has been refuted by the club’s Chief Executive Officer Giuseppe Marotta.
It is understood that Eriksen is unwilling to commit his future to the club and is seeking to depart Spurs when his contract expires in June or before that. Antonio Conte’s side will now wait to sign the Dane, who is out of contract at the end of this season.
Inter, like other clubs interested in signing the midfielder, are hesitant of paying a £25million fee for him this month when he will be free in six months. It is understood that Conte is a big fan of the midfielder’s talents and Inter’s directors have already begun contacts with Eriksen’s agents, with a view of taking to SanSiro this month.
However, according to Danish media outlet Ekstra Bladet, Inter will pay Tottenham £20million in January in order to sign Eriksen and fend off other competitors from prizing away the Dane. It’s recently been reported that the 27-year-old is set to join Antonio Conte’s side ’in the next few weeks’.
Reacting to the reports on Monday, Inter CEO Marotta has moved quickly to play down such speculation linking the Dane to the Italian side.
He said: “Eriksen? It’s not a done deal, and we’re not in contact with Tottenham. He’s a fantastic player, and there are many clubs in talks to sign Eriksen because he’ll be a free agent. I can just say he’s an interesting player.”
Eriksen announced earlier this summer after Tottenham’s Champions League final defeat to Liverpool that he wants to leave Spurs and try a new challenge. His announcement attracted interest from top European clubs like Paris-Saint-Germain, Manchester United, Juventus and Real Madrid.
He said: “I feel that I am at a place in my career where I might want to try something new,’
“I have the wildest and deepest respect for everything that has happened in Tottenham, nor will it be negative. But I have also said that I would like to try something new.”