Edouard Mendy rejects Chelsea’s Six-Year Offer Because It Is “Disrespectful” As AC Milan And Monaco Show Interest

Spread the love

Edouard Mendy rejected a six-year contract offer from Chelsea because the club does not show him enough “respect” in terms of pay.

Edouard Mendy rejects Chelsea's six-year offer because it is "disrespectful" as AC Milan and Monaco shows interest

After making it to the World Cup round of 16, the Senegalese goalkeeper is back to training with his club since last week, but there is still no sign of an agreement in terms of his contract extension.

The 30-year-old Mendy aspires to earn as much as his Blues counterpart Kepa Arrizabalaga, who makes almost twice of what Chelsea are reportedly paying him (around £100,000 per week).

According to sources, Chelsea’s management is playing hardball with the discussions and even withdrew their initial offer of a long-term contract, leading to a standoff.

As per reports: “Edouard is back at Chelsea and he is ready to play.”

“But there is a feeling that the contract situation is just going nowhere.”

“Edouard has won some huge trophies for Chelsea — but there is a sense that he is not being shown enough respect by the club over a new deal.”

See also  Transfer Update on Youri Tielemans, Cristiano Ronaldo, Johnstone, Paul Pogba, Christian Eriksen, and others

The Blues star’s contract still has two and a half years to run, but French teams Nice and Monaco, as well as Italian champions AC Milan, are keeping a keen eye on the issue.

Mendy, who assisted Chelsea in winning the Champions League in 2020, was chosen as Fifa’s best goalkeeper of 2021.

He was crucial in helping the Blues win the Club World Cup, the final major prize they weren’t able to win before his arrival.

Mendy represented Senegal in Qatar after winning the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations with his country.

He is back at Chelsea’s Surrey headquarters and is hoping to play when they host Bournemouth on December 27 to resume Premier League play.

Chelsea have since announced that Christopher Vivell will take over as their new technical director.

Edouard Mendy rejects Chelsea's six-year offer because it is "disrespectful" as AC Milan and Monaco shows interest

The 36-year-old Vivell previously worked for RB Leipzig in his home country of Germany, where he was in charge of hiring and scouting all age groups.

See also  Ouch… Tammy Abraham rejects Nigeria… My first and final choice has always been England

With the team still in seventh place and eight points outside of the Champions League spots, Stamford Bridge chairman Todd Boehly says Vivell will support manager Graham Potter.

Chelsea new owner, Todd Boehly said: “We are delighted Christopher is taking up this important leadership role.”

“His work in Germany and Austria speaks for itself. We are confident that he will continue on his impressive trajectory here at Chelsea.”

“He will provide important support to Graham and the ownership group and play a vital part in advancing our overall vision for the club.”

“Chelsea are developing the most exciting project in global sport,” said Vivell, who replaces club great Petr Cech. I’m honored to be a part of them.

“There just is so much potential to continue to develop and grow.”

Vivell previously spent five years with RB Salzburg, a club affiliated with Leipzig.

See also  World Cup 2022: FIFA Confirms Ban Of Alcohol Around The Stadiums In Qatar

Edouard Mendy

Goalkeeper Edouard Osoque Mendy, who was born on March 1, 1992, competes for Chelsea of the Premier League and the Senegal national team.

Mendy began playing in the Le Havre academy before agreeing to terms with Cherbourg in the third division in 2011. Mendy began his career in his native France.

After being dismissed in 2014, Mendy nearly gave up playing football before receiving a chance with Marseille’s reserves. In the ensuing seasons at Reims and Rennes, he became a regular.

Mendy joined Premier League team Chelsea in September 2020 for a reported sum of £22 million.

He was the first African goalie to play for the club’s senior side in his first season, and he kept sixteen Premier League clean sheets while making his way into the starting lineup.

Edouard Mendy rejects Chelsea's six-year offer because it is "disrespectful" as AC Milan and Monaco shows interest

Mendy also preserved another clean sheet in the championship game to help Chelsea win their second championship, tying the record of nine for most clean sheets in a UEFA Champions League season.

As the first African goalie in football history to win the Champions League title, he was named UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year and The Best FIFA Goalkeeper of 2021.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: