Brighton Revenge FA Cup Loss As Seagulls Defeat Manchester United With Late Penalty


Brighton revenge FA Cup semifinal loss as Marc Allister converted a late penalty to hand the Seagulls a big win over Manchester United

Starting Lineup

Brighton: Jason Steele; Adam Webster, Lewis Dunk, Pervis Estupinan; Julio Enciso, Billy Gilmour, Moises Caicedo, Kaoru Mitoma; Alexis Mac Allister; Facundo Buonanotte, Danny Welbeck.

Manchester United; David de Gea; Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Luke Shaw, Diogo Dalot; Casemiro, Fred; Antony, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford; Anthony Martial

It was a cagey game between both sides as the game kicked off.

With Liverpool closing in on Manchester United on the top-four challenge, the Red Devils needed a win against the Seagulls to stay put in their vantage position on the top four race.

Meanwhile, the Seagulls hoped to revenge the FA Cup semifinal loss to the Red Devils.

The game proceeded on a frantic space as both sides tried to hit the opener early in the game.

Manchester United
Marcus Rashford in action for Manchester United

Manchester United lost possession slightly to the home side but were on top of their game when launching attacks.

The Red Devils came across some of the best chances in the game that would have sealed a first half win but thanks to Brighton goalkeeper, Steele, who was equal to the challenge.

Steele produced stunning and astonishing saves to keep the scores modest for the Seagulls.

Marcus Rashford posed great attacking threats to the Seagulls, and was denied by Steele to keep the scores barren.

Anthony Martial also failed to beat Steele to drop the curtain-raiser for the Red Devils.

Manchester United
Mitoma in action for Brighton

One of the biggest Manchester United chances came when Fernandez fed Antony in the opponents’ half. With just few meters away from target, the former Ajax star fired blank, wide off target, missing a golden chance to put Manchester United ahead.

Brighton were equally deadly when charging forward. With a swathe of possession of the ball and slightly holding sway over the game, the Seagulls pressed deep inside the Manchester United half and came across series of chances to put the home side ahead.

The Roberto De Zerbi-led side worked out their biggest chance in the game when Mitoma penetrated the Manchester United defense with a loose ball.

Manchester United
Anthony Martial in action for Manchester United

His teammate, Encisco, was right on the spot to receive a pass and possibly slot home what would have been the Seagulls opener, but Mitoma went for goal himself and ended up smashing the ball onto De Gea’s face.

Both sides ended the first half without a goal but it was quite a shock result as they have created more than enough opportunities that would have sealed a first-half win for either side.

Brighton started the second half with a renewed energy looking set to drag Manchester United to ruins but it was still an effort in futility as they failed to make their dominant display count.

The home side still dominated play going forward with the game crossing the hour mark.

Manchester United

The Red Devils were a shadow of themselves unlike their first half display but were able to hold off Brighton’s assaults while making attempts on the opponents’ half through counter attacks.

Brighton called for a penalty in the 67th minute after Mitoma’s strike seems to have hit the arm of a Manchester United player inside the box but the referee waved off the call and signaled for the game to be played on.

It was still a barren draw with few minutes remaining to the end of the game as both sides failed to find the back of the net.

Both sides made frantic attempts for a late goal with Brighton finally hitting Manchester United in stoppage-time.

The Red Devils conceded a late penalty and Marc Allister converted it to dent the club’s top-four hopes after the final whistle.

Video Highlights


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here