Enrique Setién Solar better known as Quique Setien, is a Spanish former professional footballer who played as a central midfielder, and a manager. Setién made his La Liga debut in 1977, with his hometown club Racing de Santander. Afterwards, Setién represented Atletico Madrid for three years: enjoying a good first two seasons. He retired in June 1996 at nearly 38 after featuring for Levante UD in the third division play-offs.
The former Atletico Madrid and Racing Santander player is known for his possession football and attacking game plan, which suits the way Barcelona were known for playing in the iconic Pep Guardiola era. Setien, 61, coached Real Betis last season but left by mutual consent after leading the club to a 10th-place finish.
Barcelona release a statement confirming his appointment which read, “FC Barcelona and Quique Setien have reached an agreement for the latter to become first team coach until 30 June 2022.”
Here are TEN things you need to know about Barcelona’s new coach Quique Setien;
1) Quique Setién’s football beginnings were in beach football, a sport in which he got to play with the national team.
2) At Racing Santander, he’s known as “El Maestro,” and is one of the idols of the club because of his time there as a player. He played for 12 seasons there in two stages, and also coached the Cantabrian side in the 2001/02 season, achieving promotion to LaLiga.
3) Setién is the third Cantabrian coach in Barça’s history, after Enrique Orizaola (1961) and Laureano Ruiz (1976).
4) Setién faced Barça 22 times as a player, with a record of 5 wins, 5 draws and 12 losses and against Barça he scored two goals. Once in a Barça v Logroñés fixture (2-1, 1990/91 league season) and also in the 1994/95 Racing v Barça league match (5-0).
5) As coach, Setién has played against Barça seven times, with a record of six defeats and one win. This victory was at the Camp Nou, in the league during the 2018/19 season.
6) As a coach, he has managed Racing Santander, Poli Ejido, Logroñés, Lugo, Las Palmas and Betis. In addition, he served as coach of Equatorial Guinea during a game.
7) In one of his visits to Camp Nou, Sergio Busquets gave him a shirt on which he had written: “For Quique with love and admiration for your way of looking at football. All the best.”
8) Setién has coached former Barça players Bartra, Kaptoum, Tello, Sanabria, Araujo, Halilovic and Kevin-Prince Boateng, as well as the current Barça player, Junior Firpo.
9) The new Barça coach has always praised Barça and Leo Messi, who he considers “a luxury and the best player in history.” The last time Setién did so was after a Messi display at Benito Villamarín.
10) One of Quique Setién’s passions is chess and he has played against former World Champions Anatoli Karpov and Gary Kasparov.
During a press conference to introduce the new manger he had a few things to say;
New manager Setien; ‘Not in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined this”
New manager Setien talks about his first vibes with the players.
Setién talks about performance.
Setien on watching Messi and the team play over the years.
Setien on the FC Barcelona masia players (youth)
The new boss ended things with a little motivation speech “yesterday I was walking around with the cows in my town, and now today I’m at the Ciutat Esportiva in Barcelona.
His debut game at home against Granada is on Sunday in La Liga.