Arsenal’s Premier League Title Hopes Still Alive, As Leandro Trossard’s First Half Strike Hands Them Important Win Over Underwhelming Manchester United


    Arsenal crept out of Old Trafford with a slim win over Manchester United, as they continue their quest for the English Premier League title.

    The game was pretty much underwhelming for most of it, but Leandro Trossard netted the opener in the 20th minute.

    The ball was played over the top to Kai Havertz, with the acre beling in much room after Casemiro kept him onside.

    Havertz went toe-to-toe with Jonny Evans, subsequently shifting the ball onto his right before drilling a low cross into the danger area.

    Leandro Trossard was arriving into the 6-yard area and he fired an attempt into an empty net.

    The Red Devils couldn’t sting Arsenal in the opening period, despite seeing a couple of half chances to equalize.

    Arsenal went into break leading Manchester United, with the Gunners, okay by what they dished out in the first half.

    However, Mikel Arteta will have been aware that his side were certainly not at their best, but they have what is obviously important, the crucial goal.

    The second half also started in a drab fashion, with not many opportunities falling to either side.

    Four minutes after the hour mark, Leandro Trossard cut into the area, beating Aaron Wan-Bissaka neatly, before finding Havertz in the 18.

    Kai Havertz flicked the ball to Martin Odegaard who cut inside onto his left, creating space for himself, and afterward hitting a strike towards goal.

    However, Andre Onana did well to provide a big save, which kept Manchester United in the game.

    Gabriel Martinelli was introduced in the 66th minute by Mikel Arteta, who subsequently substituted Leandro Trossard.

    The Red Devils also made a change in the 70th minute, with Antony coming on for Amad Diallo.

    In the 75th minute, Erik Ten Hag brought in Willy Kambwala for Jonny Evans, with Manchester United getting a great opportunity 2 minutes later.

    Sofyan Amrabat had given the ball away in a dangerous area, with Saka looking at taking the opportunity for Arsenal.

    Unfortunately for the Gunners, his pass strayed to Kobbie Mainoo, who found Scott McTominay.

    The Scotsman took the ball towards the penalty area, before picking out Alejandro Garnacho, who struck an attempt towards goal, but it narrowly misses the target and flew into the side netting.

    Eight minutes before the end of regular time, Gabriel Jesus entered the fray for Arsenal, replacing Bukayo Saka.

    Kobbie Mainoo also suffered a knock in the 86th minute and he required some treatment, as Ten Hag looked to make needed changes as he sought for an equalizer.

    Christian Eriksen came on to replace Sofyan Amrabat, while Omari Forson and Ethan Wheatley were brought on in place of Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Rasmus Hojlund respectively.

    Arsenal also made two final alterations in the dying embers of the game, with Jakub Kiwior coming on for Thomas Partey, while Jorginho came on in stoppage time for captain Martin Odegaard.

    The last notable incident in the game was a yellow card handed to David Raya for time-wasting.

    Arsenal ultimately secured all three points at Old Trafford, doing the double over Manchester United, having won at the Emirates by 1-0 in the reverse fixture.

    The win sees the Gunners return to the summit of the Premier League table, with 86 points from 37 matches, 1 better than 2nd placed Manchester City, who have amassed 85 points so far this term, with 2 games left to play.

    If the Cityzens win their remaining league matches they will be crowned champions, irrespective of what Arsenal does in their final league game.

    Match Highlights Below:


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here