Recall that earlier this year, Newcastle United was in the news over the proposed takeover of the club. A Saudi Arabian backed consortium attempted to buy an 80 percent stake in the club which would have made the consortium the direct owners of the club.
Unfortunately for the fans of Newcastle who really wanted to see the deal happens, the takeover bid collapsed and the Saudi Arabian backed consortium issued a statement to announce that the consortium has stepped down from the proposed takeover of the Premier League club.
In the consortium’s statement, the group stressed that the bid had to collapse because of how prolonged it was becoming.
Afterward, reports started making the rounds that the bid failed because of the bad image associated with the Saudi Arabian government. It was also reported that some groups of people in Saudi Arabia were transmitting Premier League matches in the country without approval from the league.
So, when the deal officially failed, fans of Newcastle tried their best to attract the attention of the government of the United Kingdom into the saga. The government intervened by asking the Premier League to make public why the deal failed.
In reaction to the government’s directive, the Premier League through the chief executive of the league Richard Masters said the league acted in the best interest of football in England.
Still, the club couldn’t take the league’s explanation which then pushed them to issue a statement on Wednesday to stress that the league body didn’t act appropriately “and will be considering all relevant options available to them.”
Club statement.#NUFC— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) September 9, 2020
To follow-up on their statement, the club has employed the services of Blackstone Chambers and the law firm has announced on Monday that barrister Shaheed Fatima and Nick De Marco would act for the club in the matter.
On the other hand, the Premier League has insisted via a statement that the league body’s decision on the Saudi-backed bid was based on legal advice.
“It is also incorrect to suggest these decisions were taken by any individual; they were agreed unanimously by all Premier League board members”, the league body said.