Mikel Arteta Reveals He Lost Bearings After Neilson’s Last-gasp Winner Against Bournemouth


    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta revealed he lost his bearings after Nielson’s last gasp winner against Bournemouth.

    Arsenal Mikel Arteta

    It was a nightmare start for the Gunners at the Emirates Stadium. Far from the cadence of an intending champion, Arsenal lost their grounds just in the first minute of the game against Bournemouth.

    The Gunners cheaply gave away one of the fastest goals in Premier League history after a subpar delivery and defensive blunder.

    Philip Billing effortlessly volleyed in the cheap goal 9.11seconds into the game after a cross into the box.

    After the comeback victory over Aston Villa, repeating the same feat against a relegation-trapped team could not be magical.

    Nevertheless, it was a horror start for the thousands of Gunners’ fans who have thronged into the Emirates Stadium hoping to regain their five-point lead on the Premier League top after Manchester City closed in with a 2-0 win over top-four hopefuls Newcastle United.

    Arsenal Mikel Arteta

    It would have been a great disservice to the die-hard supporters of the club, who had longed for a first Premier League trophy after the 2004/05 season.

    If the Gunners needed to end their almost two decades wait for a Premier League trophy, it was necessary to maintain the cadence of title hopefuls – not giving away cheap goals and missing glaring chances.

    Despite taking the game to the opponents’ half after conceding the early goal, the Gunners had less of the latter, not creating much chances to turn the game around in the first half.

    Meanwhile, Bournemouth had lineup up all their 10 men in the defense, hoping to secure all three points after the chanced goal. The first half ended with the Gunners unable to break the goal deadlock.

    In the 53rd minute, Arsenal’s comeback hopes was dealt a major blow. Senesi doubled the lead for Bournemouth after nodding home a cornerkick.

    After Bournemouth’s second goal, the rest was history. Thomas Partey restored comeback hopes scoring a few minutes later to bring the scoreline to 1-2.

    In the 70th minute, England defender Ben White fired home the equaliser. Evidently, the Gunners were heading to another dramatic fightback win, but they had to wait till the last minute of added time.

    Neilson was the Gunners heros. The out-of-favor English winger scored a last-gasp stoppage-time winner to complete another stunning comeback for Premier League title hopefuls.

    Nielson’s last-minute strike flung the Emirates Stadium into a seething cauldron of jubilations.

    Arsenal players, fans, and staff frolicked with shouts of joy after what was a big relief goal.

    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta revealed he started running after the goal and did not even know where he was running to.

    “It’s crazy, you lose sight of where you are,’ said Arteta. ‘I started to run and didn’t really know where I was running to. I saw a kid here next to me, then I ran into security. But just looking in the faces of everybody, the players and our supporters with those smiles, the joy in their eyes, it’s just great.”

    Arteta admitted it was the best moment he has ever experienced at Emirates after having to climb a mountain with “10 players behind the ball” to win the game.

    This season, Arsenal have scored the winning goal in the 90th minute twice and the win against Bournemouth was their third. Meanwhile, it was the first time in 11 years they have come from two goals down to win a game.

    The dramatic win has kept the club in pole position in the title race after they regain their five-point lead on Premier League top.

    Mikel Arteta full post-match reaction


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here