EPL1

Leicester City confident of playing remaining home games at King Power Stadium

Spread the love

Despite the recent announcement by the government on stricter measures in Leicester due to sharp rises in the cases of COVID-19, Leicester City has said that it would play its remaining Premier League games at the King Power Stadium, as planned.

The Foxes have three more home games to end the season with the hope of securing Champions League football after dropping four points from their last two games and lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup last weekend.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is LEICESTER.jpg

Leicester City players on the pitch

The club in a statement sais it has spoken with local authorities, its Safety Advisory Group, and the Premier League after the government’s announcement on Monday and guaranteed the safety of visiting teams and staff. The remaining Leicester home games include a clash with Crystal Palace on Saturday, Sheffield United and Manchester United at later dates.

Only two individuals have tested positive to the virus in the Premier League so far after 11 rounds of testing.

See also  Frank Lampard overtakes Vitor Pereira and Duncan Ferguson as the favorite candidate for Everton's job... Final talks will hold today

The Premier League’s chief executive Richard Masters had told parliament that there are contingency plans in place for the game to be moved to a neutral venue or postponed if necessary. The health secretary Matt Hancock however, on Tuesday said that Leicester’s match with Palace would go ahead, at least.

Leicester City says Tuesday’s match unaffected

Reacting to the development via a statement on Tuesday night, Leicester said the forthcoming fixtures remain unaffected by the local lockdown, while the team continues training at Belvoir Drive.

The Foxes will be traveling to Goodison Park tonight to play Everton as they continue to push for Champions League football after making their debut in the European club competition in 2017.

“The Club has today consulted with local authorities, its Safety Advisory Group and the Premier League, following Monday night’s Government announcement relative to coronavirus measures in Leicester.

“All parties remain entirely satisfied that, through the continued implementation of our COVID-19 operations plan, the Club’s football operations can continue to function under existing protocols safely and, in doing so, there will be no greater risk posed to Club personnel, visiting teams or our surrounding communities. Consequently, first-team training will continue at Belvoir Drive, and our forthcoming Premier League fixtures remain unaffected, part of the statement released by a Leicester City spokesman read.

See also  Manchester United Jesse Lingard to part ways with agent Mino Raiola following United Deal fallout

Although several neutral venues have been on standby, should any decision be taken that a game cannot be hosted at a club’s home stadium.

The Government had ordered all non-essential shops to close from Tuesday, and all schools in the area to close for most pupils from Thursday.

Residents of the wider Leicester area were also advised to stay at home as much as possible and avoid non-essential travel.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: