Kai Havertz Hands Arsenal Comeback Victory Over Everton, But Insufficient To Secure English Premier League Title


    Despite a late winner from Kai Havertz against Everton, Arsenal lose the 2023/24 English Premier League title to history makers Manchester City.

    A rollercoaster of emotions at the Emirates, as supporters of Arsenal displayed palpitations throughout the affair.

    Idrissa Gana Gueye Poked Everton Ahead Against Arsenal

    The Gunners went down in the 40th minute following a stunning free-kick from Everton midfielder Idrissa Gana Gueye.

    The Senegalese struck a free-kick which ascended over the wall and in the process also hit the head of Declan Rice.

    Unfortunately, Rice’s connection to the ball changed its direction to the opposite corner of the post, beating goalkeeper David Raya, who was rooted to the spot.

    Tomiyasu Nets Equalizer For The Gunners

    Arsenal responded 3 minutes later, as Takehiro Tomiyasu was at the right place at the right time to strike home an instantaneous effort into the bottom corner, following a clever pass by Martin Odegaard.

    Mikel Arteta’s side were thoroughly in control of the opening 45, however, they looked jittery and mentally unsettled – possibly having one mind on what was happening at the Etihad Stadium.

    Everton limited Arsenal from having many direct attempts at goal, with the Gunners resulting in fast intricate attacking moves to try and break their opposition down.

    Additionally, they also tried putting the ball over the top, all in an attempt to carve open the Toffees.

    Meanwhile, Arsenal’s Thomas Partey was the first player to get his name taken down into the referee’s book for a foul on Dwight McNeil just outside the box in the 39th minute.

    Both teams went into the break level, with Arsenal supporters hoping that there would be light at the end of the tunnel at the end of 90 minutes and additional time.

    Mikel Arteta’s side also displayed their attacking impetus in the second period, dictating play from side to side.

    5 minutes following the restart of the second half, James Tarkowski was booked for a rash tackle on Arsenal’s Kai Havertz in the middle of the park.

    In the 54th minute, Abdoulaye Doucoure became the second Everton player to be shown a yellow card, following an altercation with Gunners defender Gabriel Magalhães.

    5 minutes later Gabriel was hauled off due to an injury, with Oleksandr Zinchenko coming on in his stead.

    Due To Manchester City’s Result A Win Didn’t Guarantee The Premier League Title For Mikel Arteta’s Side

    Arsenal continued to take the pressure onto the doorstep of Everton, even though a win at this moment wasn’t going to guarantee the title, due to the happenings at the Etihad.

    Declan Rice made a late challenge on James Tarkowski in the 68th minute and he was subsequently booked for his poorly timed tackle.

    Arteta became more frantic as the game wore on, and he made two alterations in the 69th minute.

    Jurrien Timber came on to make his first Premier League appearance since the opening day of the season, replacing Ben White.

    Thomas Partey was also withdrawn for Emile Smith Rowe, with the Gunners continuing their search for another goal.

    Arsenal Captain Martin Odegaard

    Nineteen minutes before the end of normal time Arsenal got a big chance, with Odegaard directing an attempt at goal.

    However, a great defensive display from the visitors thwarted Mikel Arteta’s side’s persistent effort.

    Two minutes later, Jurrien Timber marked his introduction with a yellow card, as he was booked for a poor challenge on McNeil.

    In the 75th minute, Everton brought on Youssef Chermiti for Dominic Calvert-Lewin, before Gabriel Jesus was also introduced by Arsenal 3 minutes later for Leandro Trossard.

    Arsenal were appearing unlucky late on, as a volley by Smith Rowe struck the crossbar.

    Arsenal’s Kai Havertz and Everton’s Jordan Pickford were also booked in the 83rd minute.

    Kai Havertz Scores Late To Secure Comeback Win For Arsenal Over Everton

    One minute before the end of regulation time, Arsenal capitalized on a defensive error by Everton to snatch the win late on.

    A poor pass by Ashley Young was intercepted by Gabriel Jesus, with the Brazilian feeding the ball to Martin Odegaard inside the penalty box.

    Odegaard flicks the ball past Pickford and into Havertz, who was looking at an open net, with the attacker tapping the ball home from close range.

    Unfortunately for the Gunners, despite the goal, Manchester City will still end the season as champions, following their 3-1 win over West Ham United at the Etihad.

    Anyway, Sean Dyche made his final change of the season in the 2nd minute of added time by bringing on striker Beto for Doucoure, as he sort for an equalizer.

    Following the 5 minutes of added time, the full-time whistle was blown, with Arsenal ending the season 2nd behind Manchester City with 89 points from 38 matches, 2 points below the eventual winners, City.

    The Gunners will look to regroup again next season, with the hope of silencing the Cityzens, who will be gunning for their 5th Premier League title in a row.

    Match Highlights Below:


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here