Barcelona presidential hopeful Victor Font has said the club should never have signed forward Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid last year.
Font, who is one of the front runner for the top job ahead of the January election is the early favourite. About 10 candidates are reportedly contesting for the position.
Speaking with Cadena Cope on Wednesday night, he said the former Athletico Madrid is a signing the Catalan club shouldn’t have made.
“Griezmann was a signing that shouldn’t have been made,” Font said.
Messi has been blamed for not allowing the Frenchman to flourish at the club. Speaking recently at Barcelona Airport, Messi has said he is tired of being blamed for everything at the club.
Font reveals his plan for Barcelona as Griezmann continues to struggle at Camp Nou
In one of a series of eye-catching admissions from the presidential hopeful, he spoke about how the club legend, Xavi Hernandez would be boss under his management. He also said he would have a high degree of control, including persuading Lionel Messi to stay at the Camp Nou.
“If Xavi asked me to sign Sergio Ramos and it was economically viable, I would sign him,” Font added.
Griezmann is yet to sparkle at Camp Nou as he continues to endure another difficult opening to the season with the Blaugrana. There is now a focus on the best position for him in the team.
There are further questions over whether he should be a regular starter going forwards. Usually, he plays through the middle for France and is at the center of attacking moves. However, he is often played on the periphery for the Blaugrana to help accommodate Lionel Messi.
Meanwhile, in a recent poll done in Spain, Griezmann has pipped Real Madrid star Eden Hazard as being named the “biggest disappointment” in La Liga this season.
According to the poll done by Marca, Griezmann polled 33 percent of votes from respondents, while Hazard gained a total of 31 percent.
The contrast between him and the Belgian is that injuries had stopped him from playing. After recently returning to action, he was tested positive for coronavirus, having played just 10% of Madrid’s minutes so far this season.
Now that the international break is over, it is hoped that the forward will prove his worth at Camp Nou.