Doku, Silva, and Haaland Strike as Manchester City Return to EPL Top With Comeback Win Over West Ham


Fireworks was expected at London Stadium as two of the best in-form teams went head to head in front of thousand of fans.

After winning Europa Conference League, David Moyes’ trail with the Hammers this season was magical in the build-up to the clash against City.

After the opening weekend draw against Bournemouth, West Ham climbed their way to the top four of the table with three straight wins.

The Hammers bundled Chelsea in London Derby despite being reduced to 10 men before grabbing two straight away wins against Roberto De Zerbi’s Brighton and newly-promoted side Luton.

Coming up against City, David Moyes faced a tough test of their strength to maintain the brilliant run.

City, on the other hand, have bagged maximum 12 points from their four opening games in the season.

Wins against Burnley, Newcastle United, Sheffield United, and Fulham kept the defending champions in full control as they set sights on another triumphant season.

City played their last two games against Sheffield United and Fulham without Pep Guardiola who was away for an emergency back surgery in Barcelona.

Against the Hammers, Guardiola was back to the dugout – another morale booster to the star-studded side.

Great start for Manchester City

Manchester City were comfortably top of the game as it kicked off. A clinical attacking play cushioned with neat and perfect link-ups by the visitors forced West Ham to their half.

Josko Gvardiol battles Michail Antonio for the ball

Just two minutes into the game, West Ham goalkeeper, Alphonse Areola, was forced to make a save after Foden picked Kyle Walker’s pass and fired City’s first attempt on goal.

West Ham put up a clinical defensive display despite coming under threats thanks to Coufal and Zouma who kept City’s attack at bare.

The Hammers hopped on counters when having the ball but Manuel Akanji and Josko Gvardiol were equal to the task. Ederson was unruffled between the sticks for City.

Still barren at the half hour

City were the better side but West Ham’s polished defense drown the pressure through the half hour. Foden was continually a threat, attacking from the midfield but was perfectly handled by West Ham’s back four.

Rodri and James Ward-Prowse in action

Rodri occasionally moved through the tight West Ham defense but his attempt was well rounded by Areola.

West Ham United took shock lead into the break

Against the run of play, Manchester City were dealt a major blow in the 36th minute with hit signing James Ward-Prowse giving the hosts the lead.

City got punished with a quick counter by the Hammers after Coufal picked Bowen before taking a run deep into City’s half to collect the ball.

Manchester City
James Ward-Prowse buries header pass wrongfooted Ederson to give West Ham the lead

He then sent a cross to the back post with James Ward-Prowse dipping his head down to head home the ball pass Ederson.

With over 70% of ball possession, Manchester City battled to restore parity all to no avail as the Hammers held on to the narrow lead at the interval.

Manchester City still in control of second half

Manchester City picked from were they left, still dominating possession as the second half kicked off. City ramped up attempts for an equaliser but had the resilience of West Ham defenders to beat.

Manchester City

A minute into the second half, Jeremy Doku picked Julian Alvarez’s cross, broke into the West Ham box and swept the ball into the far corner to give City the equaliser and record his first Manchester City goal.

City continued dominating proceedings after Jeremy Doku’s goal and were looking set to pull a comeback win after the leveler.

West Ham dropped deeper as City’s pressure mounted. Late into the second half, Bernardo Silva put Manchester City ahead in the 76th minute. The Portuguese midfielder clipped Julian Alvarez’s pass into the net pass Areole.

10 minutes later, Silva assisted Erling Haaland to extend the lead with a fine finish pass Areole.

City scurried to a 3-1 lead in a flash and it was a gameover for the home side with only four minutes left on the clock. City continued to dominate proceedings and maintained the 3-1 lead until the final whistle.

Thr treble winners have now displace liverpool to return to the summit of the table with maximum 15 points from five games.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here