Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin on Friday penned down a new five-year contract at Goodison Park until June 2025. The England U-21 international was rewarded for his fine run of form which started last season and has continued to this campaign.
Calvert-Lewin, who signed from Sheffield United in 2016, has netted15 goals in 31 appearances in all competitions this season. Since Carlo Ancelotti took over as Everton manager in December, he has started all 10 Premier League games and scored eight times.
The striker has also helped the Toffees climb from 15th to 11th place on the table to be in contention to qualify for Europe. Calvert-Lewin is one of the least-paid players at Everton with £20,000 per week. With the new contract, his wage will definitely improve.
The 22-year-old has been in superb form this season and was praised by his manager for scoring a brace against Newcastle earlier this season in January. Calvert-Lewin has also been urged to earn his first England call-up for friendlies later this month after Ancelotti said the English man can become one of the best strikers in Europe.
The striker has not been capped at senior level but scored the only goal in the final when England won the Under-20 World Cup in 2017. The England international becomes the second Everton player to sign a long-term contract with the club this week after Mason Holgate also signed a new five-year deal until 2025.
“This is a very proud day. It has been enjoyable for me since the start at Everton and I am enjoying every day coming into training and every minute on the football pitch,” Calvert-Lewin told Everton’s website.
“The turnaround we have had since December is fantastic and the belief in ourselves we are back up there and can compete with the best is well and truly there.”
The 22-year-old has also commended Ancelotti for his believing and giving him the opportunity to show his talent. He added that he is enjoying life under the experienced Italian.
He added that the “turnaround” at Everton since December had been “fantastic” and that the new manager has made it easier for the players to believe in the process”.
He said: “And with a man like Carlo (Ancelotti) leading the ship it makes it easier for us to believe in the process.
“We want to be in Europe and competing in the top competitions. It would mean that bit more to win trophies here because of the journey I have been on with Everton and Evertonians.
“It feels personal and that is how I like it. Personally, I want to get to that next level. I like to think I have shown I am ready to live up to the expectations of being Everton’s number nine.
“But I am well aware of how much I need to improve and how much better I can do.”