Barcelona appears to be closing in on yet another deal to sign Marcos Alonso after they missed out on bringing Cesar Azpilicueta to join the club from Chelsea this summer.
Transfers expert, Fabrizio Romano, reported on Friday, 5th of August, that the Catalans are “really close” to bringing in the left-back this summer.
Barca are said to be waiting on Chelsea’s manager, Thomas Tuchel, to approve the deal which could happen anytime from now.
Another transfers expert, Gerard Romero maintained that Alonso remains the top target for Barca. So, presumably, as soon as Barcelona can raise the bid to acquire the player higher than the £7m proposed amount, then they can get the deal done.
The Catalan seems to have lost their first battle in this summer transfer window as Spanish full-back César Azpilicueta decided to say no to FC Barcelona as he recently extended his contract with the London pride, Chelsea. His new deal will keep him at Chelsea until June 30, 2024.
However, Marcos Alonso’s long-rumored and long-expected move appears to still be on as Barcelona negotiates with Chelsea to buy the club’s full back in a £7m deal.
Barcelona are reportedly optimistic that they can make Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso their sixth signing of the summer.
Alonso, who has spent six seasons at Stamford Bridge, would sign a three-year contract to move to the Nou Camp. Due to Barcelona’s financial predicament, Alonso would likely have to accept less than the £100,000-per-week salary he is currently on at Stamford Bridge.
Barcelona are closing on Marcos Alonso deal! Barça and Chelsea are finalising the agreement, working on the last details in order to get deal completed very soon. 🚨🔵🔴 #FCB— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 5, 2022
Been told final fee will be less than €10m. Personal terms already agreed three months ago. pic.twitter.com/e7YGDcTD8H
Meanwhile, Chelsea have brought in former Barca man Marc Cucurella from Brighton worth around £52.5m, which could pave the way for Alonso to leave the club.
The Blues went head-to-head with Manchester City for Marc Cucurella, with the Premier League champions losing out due to the high price tag on the versatile Spanish defender.
Guardiola’s side have been linked with a move for the Spaniard for some time as he targets a new addition on the left side of defence ahead of the new campaign.
Brighton star Cucurella was identified as a prime target following an impressive first season at the AMEX Stadium.
The 24-year-old Marc Cucurella has made 39 appearances in all competitions for Brighton, playing at left-back, center-back, and even in a more attacking position on the left flank. This versatility makes Chelsea and City contend for him, a battle Chelsea won on Friday, August 5, 2022.
Chelsea have officially announced the signing of Marc Cucurella from Brighton, on a 6-year-contract. Marc Cucurella’s transfer, which was orchestrated by Chelsea interim sporting director and owner Todd Boehly, is Chelsea’s 5th signing in the 2022 summer transfer window. He is a second defender after Kalidou Koulibaly to join the Blues this summer,
So far, Barcelona have already spent out nearly £140million this summer, so far this summer, bringing into the club Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Jules Kounde, Franck Kessie and Andreas Christensen since the transfer window opened.