Allan Saint-Maximin did not breach Covid-19 protocol according to Newcastle United despite a viral picture which showed that the 23-year-old French winger went shopping in a supermarket amid coronavirus restrictions.
The picture went viral this week which indicted Allan Saint-Maximin and forced the media to demand a reaction from Newcastle United. In a statement the club issued to respond to the request of the media, the club confirmed that the player visited the supermarket on Thursday, January 7, and had the right to do so.
Contrary as it is being speculated, Newcastle stressed that the French left-winger did not breach the quarantine rules in the United Kingdom and stressed that the club would no longer comment on the issue.
“Following a request from the media, Newcastle United can confirm that Saint-Maximin did not contravene any UK quarantine rules during a visit to a supermarket in Newcastle on Thursday evening,” the club said in a statement.
“Allan will continue to adhere to all quarantine rules and COVID-19 guidelines and will follow return to training protocols.
“The club considers this matter closed and will not be issuing further comment.”
Allan Saint-Maximin has been a Newcastle United player since August 2, 2019. He joined the club from French club OGC Nice for a transfer fee worth €18 million.
Since then, the French left-winger has played 39 games for Newcastle United, scoring 5 goals and providing 8 assists. So far this season, Saint-Maximin has made 9 appearances in all competitions, scoring a goal and providing an assist.
Club Statement | Allan Saint-Maximin#NUFC— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) January 8, 2021
Meanwhile, West Ham United manager David Moyes has urged critics to treat footballers how they treat other government offenders. The coach stated this in defense of footballers who breached coronavirus protocols and have to be targeted because they are footballers.
His club’s midfielder, Manuel Lanzini recently breached the restriction and had to be dragged on social media even though he has apologized and donated to an east London food bank.
“You have got to be careful. A lot of people are throwing stones in glass houses at the moment regarding this. We all know what the protocols are, we all know we have to be ever-vigilant and make sure we are doing the right things”, said David Moyes.
“But we can all make mistake as well. Manuel Lanzini understood he made a mistake, he has apologized for it, he’s donated to the foodbanks for what he’s done and I think it was a really good gesture.
“But you’ve got to be careful. There are a lot of people out there who are claiming that things should be different and I think the players are doing a remarkable job to keep football going, keep them playing.
“Now and again, they will make mistakes, there’s no doubt about that.”