Each time Bayern Munich’s fans troop into the stadium, most of them usually have the club’s outfits with the “Mia san Mia!!!!!”?
Some people wondering what the word means and the origin of it. It is actually Bayern’s club motto – the Bavarian variation of the German, “Wir sind wir” – or, in English, “We are who we are.”
Oh! Really? Yes, that what it means. Liverpool for instance has a motto: You will never walk alone”. So some clubs have their mottos and it is even part of their club badges and other designs.
How did Bayern Munich came up with the motto: “Mia san Mia”?
The “Mia san Mia” was traced to the 19th century Austro-Hungarian Empire. It was later used by German politician Franz Josef Strauss – chairman of the Christian Social Union in Bavaria (CSU) from 1961 until 1988.
So, Bayern adopted it during the 1980s, and the rest they say is history. The club insiders further revealed that the traction was gained during the Bavarian giants’ run to the 1987 European Cup final . This was when former players Hans Pflügler, Hansi Dorfner and Ludwig Kögl incorporated the words into a post-match celebratory song – usually belted out whilst dancing atop a table or bar.
Although Bayern lost the final 2-1 to Portugal’s Porto in Vienna, it has gained an apposite club motto. This is now synonymous with their rich history, unprecedented success, and winning mentality.
“Mia san Mia stands for the complete will to succeed. That’s how we manage to turn games around so often. There’s no middle ground, only wins.
“Mia san Mia stands for a hardcore winning mentality with a good dose of self-belief, but without any arrogance. Whoever wants to win has to work hard for it. It’s the same as for professional footballers.
“The best footballers always play for Bayern. Everyone gives it their all in training. Anyone who can’t get on with the idea is in the wrong place. It’s something we all try to teach the younger players. There’s nothing that’s more important,” homegrown Bayern star Thomas Müller explained to Bundesliga.com.
The motto which has become the club’s philosophy permeates the club at all levels. “Mia san Mia” has spawned 16 ‘golden rules’, which were published for the first time as part of Bayern’s 110th anniversary celebrations in 2010.
The words were also encased in an unmissable poster box on a corridor wall on the way to the cafeteria at Bayern’s Säbener Straße training base. This also serves as a daily reminder of the club’s proud ethos to all who pass by.
16 principles of “Mia san Mia”
The 16 principles of Bayern’s motto is listed below (according to Bundesliga.com):
1) Mia san ein Verein – We are one club: We are all formed by the club’s history, we are all involved in its development and we share the same values.
2) Mia san Botschafter – We are ambassadors: Everyone, whether player, staff or fan, builds the image of the club.
3) Mia san Vorbilder – We are role models: The players and the staff act as role models to their fans. This makes the younger players look up to them, wishing to follow in their footsteps.
Fans should also be role models for fans of other teams. They should not be sore losers, or hooligans, and should always support the team, in good and bad times.
4) Mia san Tradition – We are tradition: We should be proud of our tradition and history, both on and off the field.
5) Mia san Innovation – We are innovation: We should always seek new ways to improve our sporting, financial, traditional, philanthropic image.
6) Mia san Selbstvertrauen – We are self-belief: We have high expectations of ourselves and always aim high.
7) Mia san grenzenlos – We are diversity: We accept everyone, regardless of race, religion, and beliefs.
8) Mia san Fußball – We are football: Our club unites people from all walks of life thanks to the beautiful game.
9) Mia san Respekt – We are respect: Mutual respect between players, coaches, board members, and fans is fundamental for the club to remain successful.
10) Mia san Freude – We are joy: The players are doing what they love. They must be happy to play for Bayern and not simply mercenaries who are there for the money.
11) Mia san Treue – We are loyal: We pride ourselves on the loyalty of most of our players.
12) Mia san Partner – We are partners: In victory and in defeat, we are in this together and will support each other in every situation.
13) Mia san Heimat – We are home-loving: We are proud of the city of Munich and will do our best as a team to keep enriching its history.
14) Mia san Motor – We are dynamic: We are not conservative and stuck in the past.
15) Mia san Verantwortung – We are responsibility: We have a responsibility to set an example for others.
16) Mia san Familie – We are family: Most importantly, we are one family, sharing in everything for the rest of our lives. Once a Bavarian, always a Bavarian.