images 2020 04 07T073828.177

We are Truly Sorry, Liverpool Says as the Club Reverse Furlough Decision

Spread the love

Liverpool football club fell under serious criticism from fans and some former players of the club when the club announced that it had decided to utilize the furlough scheme of the government for 200 of its non-playing staff who have been affected by the suspension of the Premier League.

This meant that those staff who were furloughed would have been placed on unpaid leave due to the coronavirus pandemic that has forced the Premier League to be suspended indefinitely.

So the UK government would have paid 80% of the wages of the 200 furloughed staff for the period they would have been on unpaid leave while Liverpool pays the remaining 20% as part of the government’s job retention scheme to save jobs during this period of coronavirus lockdown in the country.

When the club couldn’t handle the heat that came with the decision to furlough some of its staff, the club had to reverse the decision on Monday and tender an apology to its numerous fans who were not happy with the decision.

See also  Manchester United Youngsters Despise Criticism - Cristiano Ronaldo

Liverpool Came to a Wrong Conclusion

Liverpool Came to a Wrong Conclusion

The Chief Executive Officer of the club, Peter Moore said in an open letter to all the fans of the club that the club was “truly sorry” for coming to a wrong conclusion.

The open letter read: “We have consulted with a range of key stakeholders as part of a process aimed at achieving the best possible outcome for all concerned.

“A range of possible scenarios were considered, including but not restricted to: applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme which pays 80 per cent of salary and guaranteeing the 20 per cent payment; applying to the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme with a guarantee to reimburse monies received at a later date and, thirdly, finding an alternative means to cover our furlough costs.

“It is as a direct result of this extensive consultation and our own internal deliberations at various levels throughout the Club that we have opted to find alternative means despite our eligibility to apply for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

See also  Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Manchester United gives up on Title chance despite beating Man City 0-2

“We believe we came to the wrong conclusion last week to announce that we intended to apply to the Coronavirus Retention Scheme and furlough staff due to the suspension of the Premier League football calendar, and are truly sorry for that.

“Our intentions were, and still are, to ensure the entire workforce is given as much protection as possible from redundancy and/or loss of earnings during this unprecedented period.

“We are therefore committed to finding alternative ways to operate while there are no football matches being played that ensures we are not applying for the government relief scheme.”

Jamie Carragher was shocked

Jamie Carragher was shocked Over the Decision of Liverpool to Furlough

Jamie Carragher, a former player of the club who was at the forefront of slamming Liverpool for its initial decision to furlough some staff said the initial decision the club took was shocking and he is delighted that the club had reversed it.

“The football world expected it from Tottenham and Daniel Levy, Newcastle and Mike Ashley – but not from Liverpool, who have built themselves up over the last few years of ‘this means more’ and the ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ anthem and always looking back at Bill Shankly with socialist values”, he said. “I thought it was a shocking decision, but I’m delighted they’ve changed their minds. However, it will still leave a bitter taste with some Liverpool supporters.”

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: