January signing, Bruno Fernandes had put United in front from the penalty spot and former Liverpool forward Suso equalized from Sergio Reguilon’s cross.
- Sevilla goalie, Yassine Bounou made six saves with United counterpart David de Gea only keeping out one shot.
- Sevilla has reached their sixth Uefa Cup/Europa League final, at least two more than any other side.
- Manchester United have now been eliminated from European competition by Spanish opposition for the third consecutive campaign.
- Sevilla is unbeaten in 20 games, just the fourth different side within Europe’s top five leagues this season to enjoy such a run (also Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain, and Real Madrid).
- Manchester United have been awarded 22 penalties in all competitions this season, the most by a side in a single campaign within Europe’s top five leagues since Barcelona in 2015-16 (24).
- Bruno Fernandes has scored 100% of the 14 penalties he has taken in all competitions this season, netting six for Sporting Lisbon.
In the search for a lead, Man United was frustrated by an outstanding performance from Sevilla keeper Yassine Bounou in Cologne.
Luuk de Jong who had a stint with Newcastle United scored his first in 12 games, which proved to be the winner after the Red Devils defense failed to deal with a cross from ex-Manchester City player Jesus Navas.
The La Liga sie has now booked a final date with either Inter Milan or Shakhtar Donetsk on Friday.
This is the end of Manchester United’s long season as they missed out on the chance to lift their first trophy since they won this tournament under Jose Mourinho more than three years ago.
All this was down to profligacy in front of goal especially in the opening phase of the second half when Bounou denied them, especially Martial.
This gave Sevilla the confidence and they proved again to be experts at finding a way to win in the Europa League with De Jong’s late goal.
Looking weary towards the end of the game, United defense switched off from Navas’ cross, with Lindelof and Aaron Wan-Bissaka culpable.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as usual decided to make late substitution with Sevilla making over three during regulation time despite looking heavy-legged.
With the introduction of Odion Ighalo, Martial went to the left side and their attack looked lively, but it was too late.