Quincy Promes of Spartak Moscow will be prosecuted for attempted manslaughter and assault

Spread the love

Spartak Moscow winger, Quincy Promes will face prosecution for attempted manslaughter and assault according to prosecutors in the Netherlands.

The 29-year-old Netherlands international allegedly stabbed a relative at a family party in July 2020. His alleged attack on the relative led to serious injuring to the knee of the victim.

After a series of investigations, the police arrested Quincy Promes in December 2020. The Dutch footballer stayed in police custody for two nights answering questions connected to the attack.

He was released afterward and was allowed to return to football while the police continued to dig into the incident.

Despite being arrested and detained for two nights over the incident, Quincy Promes has continuously denied the allegations and hardly makes public comments about it.

Since he was released from police custody in December until Thursday, November 18, 2021, when prosecutors revisited the incident, Promes has remained a regular player at Spartak Moscow.

Quincy Promes of Spartak Moscow will be prosecuted for attempted manslaughter and assault
Quincy Promes.

Recall that the Russian club decided to sign him from Dutch club, Ajax, on February 24, 2021, over two months after he was released from police custody.

Spartak Moscow paid the sum of €8.50 million to bring the embattled Dutch footballer to Russia. Quincy Promes has a contract with Spartak Moscow which will keep him on the Russian side until June 30, 2024.

During his unveiling at the club, reporters asked him about the alleged attack on his relative, the footballer said: “I leave it to my lawyers and try to focus on football. I have always done that.”

When the world thought the case has been buried, prosecutors announced on Thursday that charges of attempted manslaughter and assault have been slammed on Quincy Promes.

He allegedly committed the offense in Abcoude, a town outside Amsterdam, in the presence of a large number of witnesses.

According to a Dutch publication, AD newspaper, Promes’ alleged victim said the footballer “suddenly came at” him for no known reason.

At the time of publishing this report, the date of the court hearing has not been announced.

If Quincy Promes is found guilty of stabbing his relative, the Netherlands international could spend 24 to 42 months in prison according to a Dutch publication, NOS.

So far this season, Quincy Promes has played 13 times and has scored three goals for Spartak Moscow. However, he has lost his place in the Dutch national team due to the ongoing scandal.

The coach of the national team, Louis van Gaal has made it clear that he would not play Promes until the player clears his name of the stabbing allegation.

This means that the 29-year-old winger might not make it to Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup even though his national team has qualified for the prestigious football tournament.