Paris Saint-Germain has progressed to their first Champions League final after defeating the German side, RB Leipzig in the semi-finals in Lisbon, Portugal.
The Paris club progressed to the final to face either Bayern Munich or fellow french side, Olympique Lyon after goals from Marquinhos, Angel Di Maria, and Bernat.
PSG that has been one of Europe’s biggest spenders and also one of the continent’s most high-profile underachievers on the grandest stage finally has the opportunity of lifting the coveted trophy.
Leipzig Vs PSG highlight
The defender, who was also on target in a comeback win over Atalanta in the last eight, rose to head home a superbly delivered free-kick from Di Maria.
The Argentine forward late scored from a good finish from close range following an audacious flick from Neymar after Leipzig goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi had relinquished possession with a dire kick.
Kylian Mbappe, who returned to the starting line up alongside star player, Neymar terrorized the Leipzig backline, and PSG ought to have been out of sight before the break, but the Brazilian twice hit the post. He was on target from a clipped finish then an opportunist free-kick from the range before side-footing another chance wide at the near post.
Prior to PSG’s second, Leipzig had their best chance of the game through Yussuf Poulsen but he fired wide after he was found by a Dani Olmo pull-back.
Bernat later in the second half scored the third to seal the win with a header that Leipzig felt was offside but was legitimate as the prone Nordi Mukiele, who had slipped in the build-up, was playing the scorer onside.
PSG will play either Bayern Munich or Olympique Lyon in Sunday’s final. The five-time winners will face the other Ligue 1 team in the other semi-final tonight.
- Di Maria recorded his 88th and 89th assists in all competitions since he joined the club in August 2015 – only Barcelona’s Lionel Messi has more in Europe’s top five leagues at that time. He is also involved in nine goals in the competition this season, surpassing the tally he managed in helping Real Madrid lift the trophy in 2013-14.
- Neymar’s brilliant assist is his 23rd goal involvements in 19 appearances for PSG (14 goals & nine assists) in the Champions League.
- PSG have lost just one of 12 games with the trio starting.
- This was PSG’s 110th game in the European Cup/Champions League – the most played by a side before reaching their first final, overtaking Arsenal’s record of 90 between 1971-2006.
- PSG will be the fifth different French side to appear in a European Cup/Champions League final and the first since Monaco in 2003-04. Only Italy, Germany (6 each), and England (8) have had more different clubs appear in the final of the competition.