Newcastle United are still keeping the club’s current coach, Steve Bruce in the dark about a week after the Saudi-backed consortium took over the club.
Before the Saudi-backed consortium paid the former owner of the club, Mike Ashley, £305million to own the club, reports have been making the rounds that Steve Bruce’s days at the club have been numbered.
Immediately after the Premier League permitted the consortium to take over the club, the next question was who would replace coach Bruce?
It is believed that the 60-year-old English tactician would not fit into the ambitious project Newcastle United might embark on now that the club is owned by a group worth £320 billion.
Bruce has been the coach of the club since 2019. In his last two seasons at Newcastle United, he has helped the club to finish 13th and 12th-place in the Premier League.
But so far this season, Newcastle United have been struggling to win games. In the 7 Premier League games they have played this season, they have managed to draw 3 games and recorded four defeats. The poor results have kept Newcastle United on the second to the last spot on the league table.
After the Saudi-backed consortium took over Newcastle United, Steve Bruce had a meeting with the two most prominent members of the consortium, Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi.
Fans of Newcastle United thought the future of the coach would be discussed at the meeting but it was not to be. Amanda and her husband only asked him for his thoughts about the squad and talked about their plans for the future.
Afterward, coach Bruce led the squad for training on Tuesday and Wednesday. All the players and staff were allowed to go on a break today, October 14, 2021, without any assurance that Bruce would be in charge of the club on October 17 when the club will take on Tottenham Hotspur.
Reports claimed that if Newcastle United decide to sack Bruce this season, the club would have to pay the former Aston Villa coach £8 million, an amount that might be nothing to the new owners.
As it stands, the chairman of the consortium, Yasir Al-Rumayyan, is said to be the person that has the final say over coach Bruce’s stay at Newcastle United.
Brendan Rodgers is not interested in replacing Steve Bruce at Newcastle United
Leicester City coach, Brendan Rodgers is seen as the favorite to replace Steve Bruce at Newcastle United. But the Northern Irishman has reportedly said he is not interested in the job.
If Newcastle United find a way to convince him to join the club, the club might have to pay Leicester City the sum of £13.5 million to buy him out of his current contract.
Even though he is not available, Rodgers is seen as the best candidate for the job due to his pedigree of turning things around positively for any club he joins.
Recall that after Rodgers almost helped Liverpool to win their first Premier League title in 2013-2014 season, he went to Celtic and helped the Scottish club to win 7 major titles within three years.
He left the club mid-season to join Leicester City in 2019. Since then, he has helped the club to finish 5th in two conservative seasons. He also helped the club to win their first FA Cup title last season.
Rodgers’ Leicester City are currently sitting on the 13th spot on the league table with 8 points in 7 games. They have recorded 2 wins, 2 draws, and three defeats in the Premier League so far this season.