Serie A’s disciplinary tribunal has handed Napoli a 3-0 defeat and had one point deducted for failing to play their Serie A match away to Juventus earlier this month.
The outcome led to confusion over Italian soccer’s coronavirus rules. The Naples club did not travel to Turin for the match scheduled for October 4, saying their local health authority (ASL) advised the players to self-isolate at home after two members of their squad tested positive for COVID-19.
However, their request for postponement of the clash was turned down by Serie A. This made Juventus and match officials to be present at the stadium and the floodlights were turned on. The play was officially abandoned 45 minutes after kick-off time.
Tribunal rejects Napoli’s claim
Announcing its decision in a statement, the Serie A disciplinary tribunal, rejected Napoli’s claim of force majeure and said there was a clear health protocol for Serie A.
Napoli had said they were only following the orders of their ASL. The club has already threatened to appeal and take legal action if a new date for the match is not arranged.
Napoli already has six points from their opening two matches. They now have five points from three games in the Serie A table while Juventus have seven.
Juve has two new COVID-19 cases
It could be recalled that Juve also had two positive cases and they were forced to isolate at Juventus hotel until they got all clear, except for those who went to their respective national teams.
Unfortunately, Cristiano Ronaldo, a few days later contracted the virus while on international duty with Portugal.
The superstar is now back in Italy and he is expected to continue his isolation. According to reports, the Portuguese captain is asymptomatic and he is fine.
Meanwhile, Juventus announced yesterday that its midfielder, Weston McKennie has also tested positive for the dreaded virus as well.
This has therefore forced the team into into another fiduciary isolation.
“Juventus Football Club announces that, during the checks provided for by the protocol in force, the player Weston McKennie has tested positive for Covid 19.
“In compliance with the regulations and the protocol, the team entered into fiduciary isolation this evening. This procedure will allow all persons negative to the controls to carry out regular training and match activities, but will not allow contact with people outside of the group,” the official statement reads.