It seems the Serie A clash between Juventus and Napoli will be rescheduled but the Partenopei could be docked one point for breaking the current COVID-19 protocol.
There was controversy over the weekend when Napoli failed to travel for the Juventus game and the Bianconeri showed up at the Allianz Stadium to play.
The Partenopei had been blocked from traveling to Turin by the local health authority after recording two positive cases of COVID-19 among their playing personnel.
According to Corriere della Sera, the 3-0 defeat by default doesn’t seem likely but Napoli hypothetically could be stripped of one point for violation of the protocol. The match will therefore be rescheduled at a later date.
The newspaper reports that the FIGC lawyers don’t question the competence of the ASL in Naples but believe the team shouldn’t have been stopped from traveling. They cited the instance of Salernitana, who also had two players positive for coronavirus in the squad, but were allowed to travel.
Reacting to the development, the mayor of Naples, Luigi de Magistris in a chat with TG2 Post said the decision not to allow Napoli travel was related to a suspected phone call made by Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis to the ASL.
“I see the increase in infections and there are people who wait days for the swab. For Napoli, it all happened through a phone call that probably took place,” he said.
Seven players left Juve bubble after two positive cases
Meanwhile, seven players have left the Juventus retreat on Monday morning. The players in question could be fined for leaving the current team isolation.
Juve had two positive cases of COVID-19 last Saturday, and they have lived in a bubble within their camp at Continassa since then.
According to reports in Italy, Gianluigi Buffon and Merih Demiral left the camp and return to their respective homes on Monday morning, whilst five others joined their national teams.
The five include Rodrigo Bentancur, Juan Cuadrado, Danilo, Paulo Dybala, and Cristiano Ronaldo, who are now with their respective national teams.
No one could stop them from leaving the bubble as it was an individual responsibility.
The ASL was promptly informed of the development and they confirmed receiving the report from the Bianconeri. They therefore will notify the Prosecutor’s Office with the names of the players who left the isolation.
Likely punishment for those who broke the isolation protocol
Speaking with Corriere di Torino, Roberto Testi, the director of the Prevention Department of the ASL Citta di Torino, said nothing controversial will happen.
“I don’t think anything serious has been committed and if someone were to take a private flight, maybe they’ll pay a fine and I don’t think any players will have problems doing it,” he said.
Meanwhile, Andrea Pirlo’s men have continued to work in isolation. Some players have been called up to play for their respective national teams during the current break.
Italy national team coach, oberto Mancini is expecting the Bianconeri players to arrive on Wednesday.
The isolation will reportedly only end when all the checks provided for by the protocol are completed.