Manchester United ban six people over racial abuse on Tottenham’s Heung-Min Son

Spread the love

Manchester United have banned six individuals linked to the club over racial attack on Tottenham Hotspur winger Heung-Min Son. The individuals allegedly abused the South Korean footballer via Twitter after Tottenham’s 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Manchester United on April 11.

The six individuals which Manchester United banned earlier today, April 30, are three-season ticket holders, two official members, and one individual on the season ticket waiting list.

When it was confirmed that Heung-Min Son was targeted on Twitter after the Premier League game, the handlers of the social media platform confirmed that a couple of posts that were racial attacks on the footballer were removed from the platform.

Why was Heung-Min Son attacked by Manchester United’s fans?

Heung-Min Son remained on the ground which influenced the cancellation of Manchester United’s goal in the 3-1 win over Tottenham on April 11.

During the Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United, a foul on Heung-Min Son became the reason the match referee canceled a goal Manchester United’s Edison Cavani scored.

The referee had initially overlooked the foul on the South Korean and counted Edison Cavani’s goal which was a product of the foul on Son. But because the winger remained on the ground after the foul, the referee had to have a second look at the foul against the South Korean.

After checking the side monitor, the referee went with the decision of the Video Assistant Referee by canceling Cavani’s goal.

Immediately after the incident, Manchester United’s fans took to social media to agitate against Heung-Min Son. The attack went beyond the fact that they didn’t like his antics that led to the cancellation of the goal, some of the fans attacked him racially.

Since then, Manchester United have been investigating the alleged racial abuse to fish out those behind the racial attack on the footballer and were able to fish out the six individuals that were among the racists.

Manchester United are ready for the boycott of social media this weekend

Clubs in England have agreed to boycott social media this weekend in an attempt to protest against the racial attacks on footballers.

Just like most top clubs in the country, Manchester United are ready to embark on the weekend-long boycott of social media in solidarity with victims of racist attacks and social media bullying.

The social media boycott will start from 3 pm on Friday to 11:59 pm on Monday, May 3, 2021.

Richard Arnold, Group Managing Director of Manchester United, said in a statement: “We have been actively campaigning against discrimination for some time through our All Red All Equal initiative. The level of support we have received for this work from our fans has been hugely encouraging but these figures show that despite that, the level of abuse our players and fans receive is on the up.

“It must be said that while these numbers are shocking, they do only represent 0.01 percent of conversations that take place on social media about the club and the players.

“By taking part in this boycott this weekend, we, alongside the rest of English football, want to shine a light on the issue. It will generate debate and discussion and will raise awareness of the levels of abuse our players and our fans receive.”

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published.