FULL TIME: Manchester City qualifies for quarter finals of the Champions League!
Substitution: Nicolas Otamendi comes on to replace Rodri.
90 MINUTES! Two minutes to [email protected]
David Silva looks for the cutting edge as he bends a free kick just over the bar.
Four minutes to go apart from added time.
Substitution: Madrid made triple change as Federico Valverde, Luka Jovic and Lucas Vazquez come on for Luka Modric, Dani Carvajal and Eden Hazard.
Substitution: David Silva comes on for his final appearance in a Manchester City shirt at the Etihad Stadium, replacing Raheem Sterling.
Raheem Sterling wanted a penalty after a nudge in the box by Dani Carvajal, but referee Felix Brych isn’t interested and VAR stands by the original decision.
Manchester City failed to punish Madrid again from another mistake at the back as Carvajal loses the ball inside his own box but Thibaut Courtois is quick to spare his team-mate’s blushes.
What has happened to this Real Madrid defence tonight? All over the place.
City sliced through Madrid’s defence again as Gabriel Jesus’ shot was pushed over by Thibaut Courtois.
Real Madrid got a chance from nothing as Toni Kroos’ long ball finds Marco Asensio. This was another awkward bounce that made the substitute to knock it back slightly to Karim Benzema, who cuts onto his right before driving a low shot at Ederson.
Warning shot for Manchester City, who could do with another to feel comfortable.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the first man to reach 130 goals in the Champions League. He scored 67 goals in 81 games in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
68. GOAL: Gabriel Jesus punished Madrid from another defensive mistake. Raphael Varane made a costly error after missing his first clearing header from a Rodri thump upfield. He sells Thibaut Courtois short when he heads back to his keeper and Gabriel Jesus nips in to tuck a smart finish past Courtois.
City makes their first substitution as Pep Guardiola sends on Bernardo Silva for Phil Foden.
Over 20 minutes remaining.
Real Madrid gets another chance as Toni Kroos’ long ball finds Marco Asensio. From the awkward pass, Asensio knocks it back slightly to Karim Benzema, who cuts onto his right before driving a low shot at Ederson.
Warning shot for Manchester City, who could do with another to feel comfortable.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored his last 11 penalties in the Champions League.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored 24 goals in the round of 16. Only Lionel Messi (26) has more.
Dani Carvajal made a vital challenge after coming across with a big stretch to block Kevin de Bruyne’s shot. The midfielder had twisted and turned Militao out of shape.
Substitution: Rodrygo is off for Marco Asensio
Thibaut Courtois quickly went off his line to close down Raheem Sterling and block his shot. The visitors had to defend after a mistake by Casemiro.
Rodrygo runs into Joao Cancelo and fell, but the referee waves play on.
Kevin de Bruyne tries to score again from a corner kick. This is the second of which tries to bend inside the near post.
Raheem Sterling switched back to the left of the attack in the start of the second half and has been a massive threat already. His near post drive was pushed behind by Thibaut Courtois.
Second half: KICK OFF
- Real Madrid has only lost one of their last 19 Champions League games when they’ve been level at half-time.
- The only time that happened was the defeat in the reverse leg against Manchester City.
- 1.5% of all goals in CL history have been scored by Cristiano Ronaldo
Kevin de Bruyne was close to scoring after trying to sneak the ball in direct from a corner. The Belgian bends his delivery towards the near post and it looks set to sneak inside before Thibaut Courtois gets across to punch away.
Real Madrid almost committed another defensive blunder after Thibaut Courtois hits his clearance straight at Kevin de Bruyne, who quickly finds Phil Foden. The Englishman failed to hit the target.
Ironically, it has been a hot day in Manchester today but we’ve not actually had a drinks break. We’ve had them when it has been lobbing it down but almost 30 degree heat? Not this time.
Joao Cancelo from another attack cuts inside from the left before whipping a low effort towards goal, resulting in an awkward bounce for Thibaut Courtois and he pushes back into the danger zone but, Eder Militao was the first to the loose ball and clears.
Karim Benzema made a smart run that almost break the offside but Ferland Mendy was slow with the pass and Benzema was caught offside.
Benzema is looking lively, though, and a real danger to the Manchester City defence.
Kyle Walker skips a couple of challenges from a great run and tried an ambitious effort from outside the box.
28.GOAL: Real Madrid equalises through Karim Benzema. The Whites restored parity through a superb header by the Frenchman from Rodrygo’s delivery.
After stealing the ball from Dani Carvajal, Joao Cancelo goes on a surging run and he drives through the middle. The end product was bad as his pass is a bit too heavy for Raheem Sterling.
Real Madrid gets an attacking chance as Eden Hazard carries the ball up the left, and released it for Karim Benzema and his shot on the turn was pushed away by Ederson.
Ederson was alert again soon to keep out a low Hazard drive at his near post.
Raheem Sterling almost scored his second after dancing through the Real Madrid defence, but Casemiro does well to slide in and block the shot.
- Raheem Sterling’s 100th goal in all competitions for Manchester City makes him the first Englishman to reach three figures for the club since Dennis Tueart in 1981.
- Sterling becomes just the sixth different Englishman to score 20 Champions League goals.
Luka Modric ‘ shot went straight into the stands.
Manchester City continues to press further as Phil Foden’s shot is blocked and the ball breaks to Ilkay Gundogan, whose effort also hits a Real Madrid defender.
9. GOAL: Man City found the back of the net via the boot of Raheem Sterling. Man City were gifted the goal after Raphael Verane dithered on the ball deep inside his own box. Gabriel Jesus took advantage of that and swiftly finds Raheem Sterling, who sidefoots home for his 100th goal for the club.
Real Madrid still need to score twice, but they could have done without such an awful start.
Manchester City records its first attempt on goal via the boot of Kevin de Bruyne. The Belgian picked out 25 yards from goal by Ilkay Gundogan’s square ball and his effort was deflected wide by Eder Militao.
Madrid started on a positive note. Fernandinho, who is playing as a center-back takes the ball from the feet of Karim Benzema just inside the Manchester City area.
Kikck off: Champions League is back!
Moment of silence to remember the victims of the coronavirus pandemic before kick off.
- If Zinedine Zidane is eliminated tonight, it will be the first he will be eliminated from a Champions League knockout tie, having been victorious in the previous 12.
- Zidane has won just two of his six Champions League games against English teams (33%).
“What we need to do above all other things is be ourselves. We must show our personality and our intensity and desire. We must try to impose ourselves on a very talented Madrid side.
“I would not like to finish the game and think we were not like we usually are.
“I do not want to have any regrets at the end of the game, and I do not want the players to have any either – no matter whether we progress or not,” Guardiola said ahead of the game on tonight’s programme.
Real Madrid XI: Courtois, Carvajal, Varane, Eder Militao, Mendy, Modric, Casemiro, Kroos, Rodrygo, Benzema, Hazard.
Substitutes: Areola, Nacho, Marcelo, Valverde, Lucas, Jovic, Asensio, Diaz, Isco, Vinicius Junior, Altube, Hernandez.
Manchester City XI: Ederson, Walker, Fernandinho, Laporte, Joao Cancelo, De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan, Foden, Jesus. Sterling.
Substitutes: Bravo, Stones, Zinchenko, Bernardo Silva, Silva, Mahrez, Otamendi, Eric Garcia, Doyle, Harwood-Bellis, Palmer, Bernabe.
Manchester City is set to host Real Madrid at the Ettihad Stadium in the second leg of the Champions League last 16.
City is currently leading the tie 2-1 on aggregate after producing a stunning late fightback as Gabriel Jesus and Kevin de Bruyne scored in the final 12 minutes after Isco had given Real the lead.
Madrid captain Sergio Ramos was sent off. He is therefore suspended for tonight’s game