Premier League side Manchester United will take on Austrian league leaders LASK in the Europa League round of 16, while Wolves with play Olympiakos. The first legs of the round of 16 will be played on March 12, with the return legs take place a week later. The teams drawn first will play at home in the first leg.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side advanced into the last-16 with a win 6-1 aggregate win over Club Brugge in the first knockout round. United thrashed the Belgian side 5-0 last night with Bruno Fernandes scoring from the penalty spot and Odion Ighalo scoring his first goal for the Red Devils.
Wolves joined them in the next round despite second-leg defeat in Spain to Espanyol. Rangers produced a fine performance to win in Portugal on Wednesday and scrape past Braga. Arsenal and Celtic weren’t so fortunate, however, both suffering surprise exits at the hands of Olympiacos and Copenhagen, respectively.
Europa League round-of-16 draw
Istanbul Basaksehir vs FC Copenhagen
Olympiacos vs Wolves
Rangers vs Bayer Leverkusen
Wolfsburg vs Shakhtar Donetsk
Inter Milan vs Getafe
Sevilla vs Roma
Frankfurt/Red Bull Salzburg vs Basel
LASK vs Manchester United
- At least six of the eight ties feature first meetings between the sides.
- The potential exceptions (if Salzburg beat Frankfurt, otherwise it is seven out of eight!):
Rangers beat Leverkusen in the 1998/99 UEFA Cup second round (1-1 h, 2-1 a)
Basel beat Salzburg in the 2013/14 UEFA Europa League round of 16 (0-0 h, 2-1 a)
- Manchester United are unbeaten in their eight games against Austria clubs, winning seven.
- The Portuguese coaches of Olympiacos and Wolves, Pedro Martins and Nuno Espírito Santo, were team-mates at Guimarães in 1994/95.
- Wolves’ Daniel Podence will face his former Olympiacos team-mates, having made the switch from Piraeus in January.
- Roma’s Spanish goalkeeper Pau López spent last season at Sevilla’s city rivals Real Betis.
Draw: 20 March
First legs: 9 April
Second legs: 16 April
Draw: 20 March
First legs: 30 April
Semi-finals: 7 May
Gdansk Stadium, Gdansk: 27 May