Premier League champions, Liverpool on Sunday recorded their first loss in the Premier as they were comprehensively beaten by Aston Villa 7-2 at Villa Park on Sunday.
Ollie Watkins, who is Villa’s record signing bagged a-half hat-trick while Jack Grealish, who also scored a brace had a hand in five goals.
This is one of the most unbelievable scorelines in Premier League history.
Watkins never scored a Premier League goal before the Liverpool game. But he eventually got a hattrick in the first 45 minutes of the encounter. The striker took advantage of Liverpool’s high line and individual mistakes.
This is the first time the Reds will concede seven goals in a game since 1963. It is also their fourth Premier League defeat since 3 January 2019.
Interestingly, Villa had escaped relegation on the final day of last season. Dean Smith’s men have now overtaken them in the table with their best start since 1962.
Aston Villa vs Liverpool highlight
Villa opened the scoring from a costly error by Adrian. The keeper passed the ball straight to Grealish, and the midfielder punished him by cutting it back for Watkins to side-foot in from eight yards.
Watkins doubled Villa’s lead in an excellent fashion, cutting in from the left and smashed into the top corner.
Liverpool halved the deficit through Mohamed Salah, but Villa restored their two-goal lead after John McGinn’s deflected volley two minutes later beat Adrian again.
Things got worse for the champions when Watkins completed his hattrick, heading in Trezeguet’s cross.
Watkins is now the first player to score a Premier League hat-trick against Liverpool since Dimitar Berbatov for Manchester United 10 years ago.
On his Villa debut, Ross Barkley, a boyhood Evertonian, was excellent. He capped off his first Vila game with the fifth goal after the break from just outside the box, with Grealish behind the assist.
Salah then scored again to make it 5-2 from Roberto Firmino’s pass on the hour-mark.
Grealish finally marked his name on the scoring sheet to score Villa’s sixth and latched onto McGinn’s raking pass to add another.
- This is the first time in 18 attempts that Villa has beaten the reigning champions at home. The last was a 3-2 win over Arsenal in December 1998.
- This is Liverpool’s leakiest start since 1937
- Aston Villa has won their opening three league games to a season for the first time since the 1962-63 campaign.
- This was the first time Liverpool have conceded seven goals in a match in all competitions since April 1963 in a 7-2 league defeat at Tottenham.
- This is the second time Aston Villa have netted seven times in a single Premier League game, after a 7-1 win over Wimbledon in February 1995.
- Liverpool is the first reigning English top-flight champions to ship seven goals in a league match since Arsenal against Sunderland in September 1953.
- Aston Villa has won four consecutive home Premier League matches for the first time since October 2007.
- Liverpool’s 11 goals conceded is their most after four games of a league season since 1937-38 (also 11).
- Since the start of last season, Aston Villa’s Ollie Watkins has scored more league goals than any other player in England’s top four tiers (29, including playoffs).
- Watkins was the 10th player to score a Premier League hat-trick against Liverpool and the first since Dimitar Berbatov in September 2010.
- Jack Grealish is only the second Aston Villa player to assist three goals in a single Premier League game, after James Milner v Burnley in February 2010.
- Mohamed Salah has now scored against 25 of the 26 sides he has appeared against in the Premier League for Liverpool (96%) – the best ratio of any player in the competition for the club.