The rise in cases of COVID-19 has led to the cancelation of the Liga MX 2020 Clausura season.
The ongoing coronavirus pandemic that has hit the globe has left all human endeavors. Mexico presently has about 150,000 confirmed cases, in which about 113,000 patients have recovered and 17,580 died.
The league in a statement announced that there will be no champion, but Cruz Azul and Leon will represent the country in the next season’s CONCACAF Champions League.
According to the governing body, permanent working groups and talks were held with the federal government’s health department in recent weeks, which it said would allow the resumption of the 2020 Clausura responsibly and without putting any member of the soccer family in Mexico at risk.
It further noted that the pandemic has caused increasing schedule restrictions, which halted the tournament without putting at risk the lives of all concerned.
“Therefore, in absolute unity, the Extraordinary Assembly of the LIGA MX agreed to conclude the Liga MX 2020 Clausura for both the men’s and women’s leagues.”
The league had initially insisted that it would complete the season with seven games left after suspending football actions on March 15 after 10 rounds of matches of the Clausura were played. There was supposed to be playoffs as well.
Impact of coronavirus on La Liga MX and other football actions
The coronavirus had initially led to the indefinite suspension of the Champions League, cancellation of the Ligue 1 and PSG declared champions, postponement of Euro 2020, Copa America, and Tokyo Olympics till next year. It also led to to the restart of the Spanish La Liga on June 11 after initial suspension, and the restart of Bundesliga on May 16.
The English Premier League will resume June, Serie A for June 20, MLS for July 8, and A-League for July 16.
Before the cancellation of the Liga MX, the authorities several clubs had been adamant initially that the season would be finished in some form but had to change their stance with the number of coronavirus cases rising in Mexico. Santos Laguna already announced that 15 of its players have tested positive, which is reportedly the most of any club globally.
The club owners had to vote in support of the cancellation. They however aimed to have the league return to action in early July, as they have publicly said that cancellation would badly damage finances. They also muted the idea of relocating all teams to one city to complete the season.