Manchester City defender, Joao Cancelo has revealed that the armed robbery attack on his home on December 30, 2021, terrorized his family.
The 27-year-old Portuguese right-back who stays in the city of Manchester with his girlfriend, Daniela Machado, and their daughter, Alicia, described the attack as horrific ahead of Manchester City round of 16 first leg match against Sporting Lisbon scheduled to kick off at 21:00 on Tuesday, February 15.
Recall that in December 2021, Joao Cancelo took to his Instagram story to announce that four armed men who gained access into his home assaulted him and his family.
Though he confirmed that his family members were not physically hurt, he shared a picture of himself with a cut on his face which was an injury he sustained in the attack. In the post, Joao Cancelo confirmed that the armed robbers stole his jewelry and other valuables.
“Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family. When you show resistance this is what happens,” Cancelo wrote in his Instagram post.
“I don’t know how there are people with such meanness,” he added. “The most important thing for me is my family and luckily they are all OK.
“After so many obstacles in my life, this is just one more that I will overcome. Firm and strong, like always.”
Since then, nothing much was heard about the attack even though the police department had announced then that they would investigate to uncover those behind the attack.
Ahead of Manchester City’s away match against Sporting, reporters dragged Cancelo back to the attack during a pre-match press conference.
The Portuguese defender stressed that though he knew how to deal with such an incident, his daughter who was born in 2019 and his lover who is in her early 20s didn’t deserve such an experience.
“That’s life. It happens in life. It was horrific. It terrorized my whole family,” Cancelo told reporters on Monday, February 14, 2022.
“I know how to deal with this. But my family didn’t deserve to go through that.”
Despite the incident, Joao Cancelo has continued to remain one of the most important players at Manchester City. Due to how important he has been at the club, the reigning Premier League champions extended Cancelo’s contract until June 30, 2027.
So far this season, Cancelo has scored three goals and provided 8 assists in 32 games in all competitions. The Portuguese star has done fantastically well in the UEFA Champions League campaign this season. He has scored 2 goals and provided three assists in 5 games in the Champions League this season.
He is expected to lead Manchester City’s charge to win their first UEFA Champions League title. The Premier League side will be in action tonight against Sporting at the José Alvalade Stadium in Lisbon, Portugal.
During the pre-match press conference, Joao Cancelo said: “This club hasn’t won the Champions League.
“We’re not obliged to win it but we look to win it. It’s a very difficult competition and we are trying.
“People on the outside might think that but we take it game by game. We have one of the best squads in Europe but winning this isn’t an obligation. You have to go up against the best. We are capable of winning it but it is not our duty.
“We have to be aware of it. We’re top-level players. The pressure people put on us is good. It’s a sign that we are a good team and that people think we’re capable.”