A new twist in the turn regarding Manchester United’s pursuit of Sancho has emerged with Michael Zorc’s latest comments.
Sancho’s future has dominated headlines in recent weeks as he is United’s number one priority in strengthening their attack. However, Borrusia Dortmund’s demands have proven to be outrageous for the Red Devils.
While speaking to reporters on Monday, Zorc said:
“We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final. I think that answers all our questions,”
“Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then,” he said.
The news about Sancho’s contract running to 2023 underlines why Dortmund have been sticking to their guns when it came to that £100m fee, which United believe to be unrealistic.
But it’s not just the fee that is too high. Wages and agents fees are also a sticking point it seems. United simply do not believe, in the COVID-affected world football finds itself in, that either is realistic.
There is also an element of frustration in the corridors of power at Old Trafford around Dortmund’s claims not to have had any contact with United when they asked for negotiations to be conducted through intermediaries. Discussions, it is being suggested, have been too slow.
Dortmund previously indicated they wanted a deal completed by the time they headed out for their training camp on Aug.10 to give them sufficient time to purchase a replacement, and sporting director Zorc says Sancho will now be staying with the club.
Dortmund defender Mats Hummels also welcomed the news. ‘He can be the player who makes the difference. I’m happy that he stays,’ he said about Sancho on Monday.
Manchester United may still well get their man but must be ready to meet Dortmund’s asking price. Ed Woodward and the rest of the Old Trafford hierarchy were understood to have been relaxed about the situation prior to Zorc’s defiant message, insisting any deadline is purely artificial.
Sancho has been United’s top transfer target by far this summer, but Ed Woodward is understood to be exploring the likes of Bayern Munich’s Kingsley Coman and Juventus’ Douglas Costa as back-up options.