The Ligue 1 side who also ousted Juventus in the last 16 defeated the Englsih side 3-1 in regulation time.
- Rudi Garcia is the first French manager to guide a French team to the Champions League semi-finals since 2009-10 (Claude Puel with Lyon).
- Pep Guardiola has been eliminated in each of his three Champions League seasons with City since progressing from his first seven Champions League quarter-finals as a manager with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
- It is the first time there will be Champions League semi-finals that will involve two French teams (PSG, Lyon) and two German teams (RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich). The last time there were just two different nations at the semi-final stage was in 2012-13.
- City’s Kevin de Bruyne has been directly involved in more goals in 2019-20 than any other Premier League player (38 – 16 goals, 22 assists).
- Maxwel Cornet and Moussa Dembele have scored four Champions League goals against City, a joint high with Lionel Messi.
- Raheem Sterling made his 50th Champions League appearance tonight, aged 25 years and 251 days. He is second behind Wayne Rooney to reach the milestone at a younger age in 2010 (24 years, 115 days).
- Sterling provided his 11th assist for Manchester City in the Champions League – the joint-most for the club alongside De Bruyne.
- Fernandinho made his 58th appearance in the Champions League for Man City – the most of any City player in the competition.
With PSG also progressing to the last four, this is the first time in the history of the Champions League, that two French clubs will be reaching the semi-finals.
Lyon will now have to face Bayern Munich that disgraced Barcelona on Friday night 8-2 while PSG and Leipzig will be contesting the other France-Germany clashes.
Although, they didn’t get much chance in the game, Lyon utilized the opportunities that came their way.
Manchester City Vs Lyon highlight
Lyon danger man, Moussa Dembele proved to be the difference in the side after coming on for Memphis Depa and scored twice to book a clash with the Bavatians.
Lyon, who finished seventh in Ligue 1, got into the lead through Maxwel Cornet’s 20-yard curling effort.
Kevin de Bruyne restored parity for City with a smart finish.
Dembele later restored Lyon’s lead after chasing on to a long ball from Aouar. Although there is a controversy surrounding the goal after it was given by VAR.
VAR failed to spot a foul on Aymeric Laporte by Dembele but the team defending for the second goal was horrific. Almost all City players except keeper Ederson were in the Lyon half when the goal was created.
Raheem Sterling later missed a glorious chance to force extra time, just before Dembele’s second. The Englishman blazed over an empty net from six yards after being released by Jesus.
The substitute later took the result beyond a reasonable doubt by tapping home the third goal to clinch the win after an Ederson error.