Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Jan Blak says his team is ready for the quarterfinal fixture against RB Leipzig in Portugal despite last-minute Covid-19 scare that rocked the team’s camp.
Atletico Madrid arrived at the Portuguese capital on Tuesday as they prepare for the last-eight fixture with a depleted squad that had been ravaged by the coronavirus. But the team’s goalkeeper believes the team’s experience would play a vital role in overcoming their German counterpart.
COVID-19 won’t stop us
Defender Sime Vrsaljko and forward Angel Correa tested positive for the virus in a last-minute checkup before they departed Spain for Lisbon, the pair have been left behind. This means the team has to play without the two players.
Atletico Madrid defeated defending champions Liverpool 4-2 on aggregate to advance through to the quarterfinal. The Spanish side has been one of the unluckiest teams in the competition in recent times. They have appeared in the Champions League final twice and have lost them to city rival Real Madrid in 2013/14 and 2015/16.
The club’s record signing Joao Felix signed from Benfica for £113 million is from Portugal. It would have been a spectacular homecoming if the match had been played in a full stadium for the Portuguese. The player has been hit hard with a persistent injury with two goals and one assist in the Champions League this season.
Costa to play a prominent role in quarterfinal
Atletico Madrid will be confident with some of their star player’s resurgent with Diego Costa and Yannick Carrasco. While in-form Jan Oblak is considered one of the best goalkeepers in the world, the Slovenian keeper has said transfer rumours linking him to Chelsea and Manchester United will not affect his performance for the team as he hopes to reach the finals of the Champions League.
Diego Simeone will hope this can be third time lucky for him as he plans to reach the finals but must first overcome a free-scoring RB Leipzig with 14 goals in the tournament against Atletico’s 12 goals.